cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it with advertisers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is it with advertisers?

I saw a TV advert yesterday with two meerkats where they sidle up to a couple that are about to dinner to apparently split the bill with them. However, they then go on to order food for 4 which has the effect of keeping the bill to the same value it would have been if the couple were on their own!

I know it’s only an advert but there are many adverts like this where the logic used is fundamentally flawed, but this evidently does not occur to the advertisers.

9 REPLIES 9
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: What is it with advertisers?

Yeah... and... the place should be shut down, as it violates the food hygeine regulations regarding vermin on the premises.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In fact there’s another advert where there are car buyers trying to avoid “buyer’s remorse” who apparently spend months online trying to find their ideal car, but can never find it, and in all that time the website of the actual advertiser is never found and is the place where they can apparently find their ideal car as mentioned later in the advert. Stupid doesn’t even come close!

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think the EU should forthwith issue a directive instructing all dining establishments in the Union to display prominent notices (in all EU languages of course) warning of this behaviour by meerkats.

By the way, did that man really climb mountains, swim lakes, etc, just to effect an anonymous delivery of cheap supermarket chocolates to a woman?

petlew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well of course he did, don't you believe what you see in adverts?

Coat/

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Community Veteran

One thing that does annoy me about advertising; I like to look through the online local Newspaper, but half the screen is taken up with a "demand" to switch off my ad-blocker(s).

But, I don't want to, why should I have to suffer this just so the paper can enjoy some increased income from advertisers.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@petlew Get the same on our local paper too.... so I use the in built Internet explorer... ( as is ).. just fo these cases... so I don`t have to switch off anything on my "normal" browser....  yeah they got ya both ways...but it`s easier to use it that way for odd occasional browsing, than to mess around with your normal browser, and maybe forget what settings you have to change back again.

I also use IE for "live chat" with PN... for same reasons...

Strat
Fixes: 514

I visited the Yorkshire Wildlife Park the other week.

I made a point of visiting the Meerkat enclosure.

After a brief chat I can confirm they know nothing about insurance.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0.1 (64-bit)

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Seems one advert we won't be seeing on TV is the Iceland one.

Really cannot see why. Seems to be telling it as it is. Be banning go large soon.......

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran

I prefer the British "Meercats".

They live in burrows just the same, warn each other of danger, stand up on two legs sometimes, much more cuddlier, and taste better (probably).

Yes you cant beat a tasty Rabbit stew with dumplings.