cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What insect?

Razer
Grafter

What insect?

These little creatures had been appearing one or two here and there this week, until yesterday. I went into my bathroom and the walls, the ceiling and the window (through which they came) were covered in them. Some around the kitchen window too. Difficult to tell from the pics I got, they are so tiny. Does anybody have an idea what they are? Well, I had a freak out with the vacuum cleaner to get rid of them. Not happy about having to close my windows to stop them coming in.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: What insect?

Thunderflies ? They are great when they get in behind your monitor screen too ........
Razer
Grafter

I've just found an article, I think you're right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips
jslane
Grafter

I hope you get rid of them! I didn't see an earwig in years, but it seems this heat is bringing a load of insects back to life, since there were a few just outside my door yesterday!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I make insects dead welcome with one of these:

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: John
I hope you get rid of them! I didn't see an earwig in years, but it seems this heat is bringing a load of insects back to life, since there were a few just outside my door yesterday!

They went into the vacuum cleaner and I've kept the back windows closed since. Only about five dotted about since then. Thing is, I think I'll have to keep the windows closed for at least a week so they can't get back in en masse, until this lot have died out/moved on. I've never lived anywhere with so many creatures. I've already been freaking out at the amount and variety of spiders here. One blitz on one day with the vacuum cleaner must have netted 60 spiders and they just keep coming back. I walk from one room to the other, and end up going through web. Clean up. Go through another door and it's through another web and so on. I swear that as I clean up one lot, another lot makes more webs behind my back.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
One blitz on one day with the vacuum cleaner must have netted 60 spiders and they just keep coming back.

Well there is your problem. Let the spiders back in and they will take care of all the flies Wink
Razer
Grafter

As the spiders in my bathroom seem only to congregate in the bath, they wouldn't do much about the thunderbugs all over the windows, walls and ceiling. In fact there were so many I think THEY would eat the spiders. Cheesy