cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What happened to...

all these miracle medical advances that Bill Clinton promised us with the human genome DNA sequencing?

It's been over a decade... and still we don't seem to be any further with anything that could make a difference at the DNA level. No proper cure for cancer (sure progress is being slowly made but there isn't a cure-cure yet).

So what has happened to all those promises of miracle cures that would come from the human DNA sequencing?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: What happened to...

It turned out Monica exaggerated her talents... Funny

Fixes: 125

Close but no cigarCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

When did Bill graduate from medical school in order to give us his opinion?

I must have missed that bit. Wink

What he actually said at the time when referring to the Human Genome Project was "I thought it had the promise......."

"I thought it would probably be the most important scientific discovery in the 20th century; I thought it had the promise of identifying the main variants which are high predictors of all kinds of cancers and Parkinson's and Alzheimer's and other medical problems. I thought it held the promise of giving mothers a little gene card to bring home from the hospital with their newborns, which would tell them what their genetic profile is, and give them a way of minimizing the risk and maximizing the strengths of their newborn babies. I think it will lead quite soon to life expectancy in excess of ninety years in countries with good health systems"

More here.

https://www.dnalc.org/view/15071-The-Human-Genome-Project-Bill-Clinton.html

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

All research funded by American billionaires and the like probably goes towards finding the secret of immortality.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

And was it ever thus but really, would you want to live forever?

My genes will be passed down through my children for generations to come, only my own consciousness will disappear so perhaps that's immortality - at least until our species goes belly up.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Dabbler

Leon Trotsky?

Dabbler

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

would you want to live forever?

Course not, 31 years into my life and the mind's already being broken by the insanity of the human race, imagine what it'd be like after 131 years, or 531 years, probably would have gone well and truly stir-crazy... Crazy2

Fixes: 125

If there was immortality then there would have to be excessive birth control or total sterilisationHuh

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

At least Health & Safety would disappear. As if people could live for hundreds of years they would be a lot more careful and not take silly risks. Much more to lose. Maybe the world would end up a better place.