Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to....?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What happened to....?

India Juliet?

screenshot_466

When I was a kid back in the 80s, TVS (the TV station for the south and south east) used to have a programme of the same name called "India Juliet" and the star of the show was the big old whirly bird pictured above. I used to love watching that show and was fascinated by that helicopter - not only because it was a helicopter but also because of its huge impressive size and its rescue capabilities.

These days we seem to have lots of smaller sized rescue helicopters to match the ever decreasing available public funds that are left after MPs and bankers have raided the government coffers.

So my question is this: What happened to India Juliet (AKA G-BDIJ). Is it still around? Is it still rescuing? Scrapped? Mothballed? Sitting in a museumHuh

Oh and if anyone can update me on the fate of the hovercraft museum and whats happening with our formerly impressive super huge hovercraft I'd also be grateful.

7up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What happened to....?

Just googled India-Juliett Helicopter

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=india+juliet+helicopter

and Hovercraft Museum  it seems is still in operation...  according to Trip advisor... ( 2 weeks ago )

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1528089-d3850254-Reviews-Hovercraft_Museum-Lee_on_t...

And the website...    http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/

Community Veteran

screenshot_467

Roll eyes

You never said what your result of googling IJ was either - just that you had googled it. So have I.. and most of the results google has came back as being several years old.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Superuser
Superuser

Try this for G-BDIJ   latest ID 2015 at RAF Akrotiri in US markings.

M

Community Veteran

India Juliet is working or exercising this morning....

see pic  below..

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

@shutter

that's a different aircraft and a different tail number, the actual aircraft @7up was referring to is listed here http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N751AW.html

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Oooh. !  you are SOoooooooo picky!Roll eyes

@7up said..............  "...

So my question is this: What happened to India Juliet (AKA G-BDIJ). Is it still around? Is it still rescuing? "

He never said anything about the tail numbers ! ! !...  so my response is PARTLY correct... (as in IJ )...

Also,  I don`t expect the one in his picture is the same one that he remembers from the tv series back in the 80`s... which I also remember watching too...

G-CGIJ is/was on duty this morning... from Lee - on - the - Solent airfield....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

@shutter

clearly only one has the tail number and its the same one from the tv series as per the link I provided which is currently in service (otherwise it would be deregistered ) as to what job it now does I have no idea the link you provided is for a totally different aircraft with a different tail number, you might see it as the same by conflating the last two digits of the tail number but if you check you will find plenty of other aircraft have the same last 2 digits

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I was walking along the foreshore, at Lee-on-the-solent, just south of the old RNAS LEE-on-Solent Airfield, looking out across the solent to the Isle of wight, when I spotted India Juliett in action about 3.5 miles away..

see pics.

P.S.    The Hovercraft museum is open during 2016 on Saturdays from 10.00  and also wednesday afternoons.