Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to all the old folks?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

What happened to all the old folks?

When I was a kid old folks looked liked old folks with their flat caps, long overcoats, and that ever present first world war lapel badge.

Now it seems the style has all but gone and although I try to dress my age (whatever that is) I'm nothing like my granddad - but neither do I wear a ponytail, carry a skateboard around or wear a baseball cap around the wrong way!  

IMG_20161110_0001_NEW (2).jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: What happened to all the old folks?

I do occasionally look at other men of my age group and think should I be dressing like that.

Much of my clothing is chosen for me by my 29 year old daughter.

I'm not really sure what 'dress your age' means to me.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Hope it`s not catching but when my dad was my age he looked old.Cheesy

Fixes: 125

Strat wrote:

I do occasionally look at other men of my age group and think should I be dressing like that.

I look at other men my age and think I am glad I don't dress like thatTongue

I am lucky enough to have a wife 20 years younger than me who buys my clothes and helps me to dress younger. I often have been told I look as though I am early 40's yet am 56.

I also believe that spending time with younger people especially grandchildren helps keep a younger outlook. Can't even imagine me in the pipe and slippers brigadeCool smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 125

2u2me wrote:

Hope it`s not catching but when my dad was my age he looked old.Cheesy

When I look at pictures of my dad in his 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. he always looked the same just the hair a little greyer as the decades moved on.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

I well remember how hurt my Dad was when we bought him some Phyllosan ("fortifies the over forties") - and now I have a son of that age!. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Yes only kidding, I try to keep as young as i can, its just that those born between the 2 WW`s seemed that life had taken it`s toll.   

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m three score years and twelve.... have a reasonable amount of top thatch... enough to have it cut every month, and I have the same hairstyle I had in the 1960`s !!...

I see a lot of "old people" about... that are scruffy in their dress, and their "manner"... the old guys, look like they are ancient, .. and should have been preserved in a museum as a bad exhibit of the human race. They are probably about my age, or maybe slightly older, but they look to me to be at least 30 years older than I feel.....

I dress "fairly smartly".. always got a shine on my black shoes.... knife edge crease in my trousers, a clean freshly ironed shirt, ( no tie ). and always wear a waistcoat of many colours... 

Very often when we are out and about, strange  ( as in stranger to know ) ( not weirdo strange)....  women will come towards us, ( always with the wife who also dresses well and similar age to me ).. and they remark on how smart I look in my waistcoat...  Perhaps I`m missing a trick here... ( dump the missus  ? ? ?  ! ! ! ).... Cheesy

I don`t smoke a pipe, ( did try it once many years ago...ugh.. worse than ciggys)..  but I do wear slippers indoors, .. I also drive a SKODA, in case I haven`t mentioned it before  ! ! ...

Life to me, at the moment is very good... and I do enjoy every day of it... I walk upright, with a strong stride, don`t need a stick, can climb stairs without the aid of the bannister,..( although it does help sometimes ).. can stand on one foot, and put my sock on the other, without falling down... 

Oh yes... My taste in music is of the Rock n Roll pop music scene... and my favourite singers, ( both female) are younger than my grand daughter who is 35, and has two daughters herself, ( so that makes me a great grandad ! ! )..

so,.... how do you define "old people"...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Well I just wear what I feel comfortable in .
I don't consider myself old , at 61 but still play online games, but sometimes I get told I am too old to be playing 😜
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I just dress like most of the people, 'up north'...........Flat cap, clogs, harris tweed jacket etc.

Wink