cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to UK TV

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What happened to UK TV

I stopped watching TV 4 years ago with MMO's taking up most of my free time when I'd normally watch TV.  Recently started watching TV regularly and why are we getting this rubbish?
Advert hell, the american style start to TV programs.  You get the story line in the first 2-4mins in a intro which should be the titles and then you get 7mins of adverts which just aired before the intro, so anything from 8 minutes of adverts on the start of a show for 2-4minutes worth of the show its self.
Roulette etc, sad phone in gambling programs.  What happened to films to cater for us insomniac's.  I'm not a sad git with a gambling addiction, I just cant sleep and want a veg out film to watch or drama series.
Top 100 anything, 2 hours of a wasted late night TV slot that could have been a film.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
59 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: What happened to UK TV

You've got it spot on there  Sad
Community Veteran

I couldn't believe the amount of rubbish on TV over Christmas.  Full of repeats and second rate productions.  Christmas TV used to be worth watching.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think thats why Jelv and I listened to Magic FM for 5 hours on each of the said sad days
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

why are we getting this rubbish?
[/quote
Because it is cheaper to produce rubbish, than new/interesting/exciting television...
Longer advert breaks = more adverts = more income = shorter program slots = less outgoings on production costs = MORE PROFIT  Cheesy Grin
N/A

Virtually the only programme that I watched over Christmas was the ice dancing one on Christmas Day. The rest of the schedules, to me, were a waste of time. However, I suppose that some folk somewhere must have enjoyed what was on.
Sometimes I think that there wouldn't be all that much hardship in doing without television at all, especially as so much of it is such rubbish.
Fixes: 104

I was subjected to Corra's, but aside from that not much telly was watched.
Aside from the power rangers marathon that was on, which I'm sure you all watched too  Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

I painted my TV with white emulsion and spent a couple of fascinating days watching it dry Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Next time, use "quick dry" paint   Grin  Grin   Roll eyes  Or turn up the central heating....!  Probably too cold if it took that long to dry !  Undecided
Fixes: 47

Quote from: shutter
Next time, use "quick dry" paint   Grin  Grin     Roll eyes

But that would turn it from a boxed set into a trailer Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have got a better program on now, the M&W as told by Paul Merton, finishes at 2200 hrs Beeb 1
Community Veteran

Seen it...    Sad  it was on earlier this week. !  typical.. Undecided . cheeeepskate bbc  repeat station.  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You didnt see this show, it is not a repeat - believe me
Community Veteran

Just checked it and it has the same sketches in it !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only other show that has been on this last fortnight was the 1971 Christmas show, see the pdf on my last, this was a compo program from the age of 10