Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What goes up.....

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

What goes up.....

....... will never come down, much like those 4d bags of chips we used to buy.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/08/british-grocery-brands-sterling-associated-british-...

This sort of thing makes me so mad. Will the price come down if the value of sterling goes up? You can bet your bottom dollar in won't.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: What goes up.....

Speaking of things going up (and down). I buy bags of coffee beans for my machine and in the last few weeks every time I've bought them the price is different ranging from 2.30 to 3.55 for the same 227g bag. I know coffee's a commodity but fluctuations in the market shouldn't really affect the current stock, as that may well have been bought in last years trading.

Minivanman
Hero

That all sounds rather naughty, methinks somebody at Sainsbury's is taking the Michael. Have a little word with the Fair Trade people, I would.

http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/en/get-involved/contact-us

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

What goes up must go up, plenty proof of that, just look at fuel costs (Gas, electricity, petrol, diesel, etc.), raw material costs go down, the price for the consumer doesn't, cost of materials goes up, consumer price goes up too, cost of materials stays the same, price goes up for the consumer...

It's just profiteering, plain and simple...

Community Veteran

Go back in time when we grew most of our own food there was the weather.

It was always a bad year for one crop or other. Either too much rain or not enough.

Prices went up because of "shortage" but they never went back down the following year.

Minivanman
Hero

"Prices went up because of "shortage" but they never went back down the following year"

Perhaps that's why those 4d bags of chips stay in my mind so much because if the same memory serves, there was some issue with the potato crop back in the mid 60s I think it was and the price of a bag went up and never came down.

First to 6d, then to infinity and beyond! Grin  

Fixes: 47

twocvbloke wrote:

What goes up must go up, plenty proof of that, just look at fuel costs (Gas, electricity, petrol, diesel, etc.)

Just had a look at my petrol spreadsheet.

15th June 2013 135.9 pence per litre

4th January 2016 99.9 pence per litre

Sometimes things do go down in price.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Indeed Strat, but the end result with all commodities is always upwards.

Population, climate change and dwindling resources guarantee it. The price of cheese might plummet if we find the moon is made of it, or stars really are diamonds in the sky but until then.....  Wink

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

... all commodities is always upwards.

I presume you intended to exclude peppercorns from this list of commodities?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Only peppercorn rents...... although on seconds thoughts Smiley

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11758127/Price-of-pepper-to-soar-as-popul...

Fixes: 125

@Minivanman

I seem to remember the potato shortage was mid 70's when it went from 4d/lb to 8d/lb overnight due to adverse weather ruining the crops. I think a portion of chips rose from 6d to 1/- the same night. I do remember thinking at the time that a bag of chips was going to be a luxury I could no longer afford out of my pocket moneyCry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

Must have been then I suppose - thought it was much although we went decimal early in 1971 so.....

Anyway's, they were 4d a bag for a long time! Wink

Fixes: 125

Sorry my bad.

It was from 2p to 4p/lb and chips when up from 2.5 p to 5p. Just I remember still using a sixpence until the price doubled.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Strat wrote:

Just had a look at my petrol spreadsheet.

15th June 2013 135.9 pence per litre

4th January 2016 99.9 pence per litre

Sometimes things do go down in price.

And yet, Nov. 2016, it's back up to an average of 116.9p/L, and climbing...

If they didn't drop the fuel prices back when they did, then there would have been another fuel strike/boycott like there was under bliar's rule (and I'll never forget one person's placard shown on TV stating "Tell gordon brown 2p off!" after brown said he'd knock 2 pence off a litre!), but given the sudden rise that we've had in the past 11 months, we'll be back up to £1.45+ a litre again soon...

Minivanman
Hero

Well I'm on the edge of ditching our car because of it which is just as well because I'd not be able to afford another one if the engine dropped out of the bottom. Add to that it's very hard to say no to the children when they want a baby sitter at the drop of a hat, and even harder to know it's going to cost us at least a tenner if not more in petrol for a round trip.