cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What genra of movies do you like?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What genra of movies do you like?

On the principle "they don't make films like they used to" what sort of films do you prefer?
Shussh! guy's but I'll let you into a deep dark secret...I quite like so-called rom-com's... if I'm in the mood to be lightly entertained, such as "You've got Mail" (Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks) and many others like it.
By some way my favorite of the type is the George Clooney (not because of him I rapidly add) and the delicious Michelle Pfeiffer (which is maybe why I do like it) in "One Fine Day"
But there are some good older ones around: the first "Fun with Dick and Jane" and Glenda Jackson in a "Touch of Class" both of which featured George Segal (with Jane Fonda in FwDaJ)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
21 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: What genra of movies do you like?

Solidly Sci-Fi I'm afraid although I do have things like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in my collection.
I'm a Star Trek fan Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Loved the Bourne series with Matt Damon which I prefer to Bond.
@Petlew if you like George Clooney you must see 'Ides of March'.  It's a political thriller with an excellent cast.  Also a true story.
Fixes: 105

i enjoy all sorts, recently I thought killer elite was very good.
and not that we're picky on these forums... bit it's genré Wink Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

SciFi, Action, the odd tearjerker, more SciFi and Action..
When you live a dull life you crave action.. even if its only on a small round disc you put in the dvd player  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Gothic horror-romance.
Community Veteran

Almost anything providing it's interesting and entertaining.
Several films (perhaps they are series rather than films) in foreign languages can sometimes be quite good with the lines written across the bottom of the screen rather than dubbed over.
ie The Killing.
Fixes: 125

I don't really have a genre - frequently I will see a film based on actors/director/producer even if the story doesn't particular appeal to me. Often I am surprise how much I enjoyed them.
I do like action/adventure, SciFi and horror.
@artmo  I, too, like the Bourne series. Have you read about Bourne Legacy due later this year with Jeremy Renner. It's not a relaunch but a story regarding a different agent. Looks like it will be good but I will miss Matt Damon. He has done some other good films recently; I enjoyed the Adjustment Bureau and Hereafter. I still prefer the Bond franchise, though!
One of my favourites is Sound Of Music - still makes me cry Cheesy
And I enjoy anything Clint Eastwood as actor and/or director. He also writes some great soundtracks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

This is a good time of year to see great movies.  To qualify for consideration in the Oscars next month a movie has to be released before the end of 2011 so there is a rush to meet the deadline with likely cintenders.
Recent good movies I recommend are:
The Girl with th Dragon Tattoo
The Iron Lady
War Horse
Two more on my 'must see 'list are:
J. Edgar (directed by Clint Eastwood Mav)
The Descendants
@Mav, I read that Bourne Legacy is due out in early August in the US and here mid August..
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
@Mav, I read that Bourne Legacy is due out in early August in the US and here mid August..

Yes, with Skyfall being released 26th October.
I really want to see War Horse having seen the play in the West End. I was enthralled but I'm concerned the film won't live up to my expectations. I may see it for my birthday next month Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As Gleneagles says,
almost anything providing it’s interesting and entertaining
Adventure, action, sci-fi, or mystery, specifically geographical epics (Lawrence of Arabia, Passage to India, Out of Africa), more so if there is a ‘twist’ or the characters have a “sense of humour” with one line "throw-always” (Erin Brockovitch, Pretty Woman as examples) or very dry humour (Casablanca). Not to keen on “too much” computer generated graphics, don't enjoy musicals.
I enjoy foreign language films, I found “the killing” a bit slow with too many “red-herrings”, enjoyed the Millennium trilogy, but didn’t think the Daniel Craig version of “Tattoo” was anywhere near as good as the original Swedish version.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
[I really want to see War Horse having seen the play in the West End. I was enthralled but I'm concerned the film won't live up to my expectations. I may see it for my birthday next month Smiley

I didn't see it in the West End but I know people who have and they were impressed with the film version.  I saw an interview with Spielberg and he had read the book a number of times and tried to keep his movie as close as possible.
I must say I am surprised that Spielberg didn't get a nomination for best director.
War Horse was filmed partly on Dartmoor and the cinematography is breathtaking.  Wiltshire was also a location and post production was at Twickenham so it was very much a British movie. A strong British cast as well led by Jeremy Irvine.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'm not really a movie buff at all, but I do like films like Saving Grave, Waking Ned, and Local Hero. Not sure what that genre would be called?
Favourite genre though is westerns, especially the spaghetti variety. Only ever bought one soundtrack CD - The Good the Bad and the Ugly. What a superb score writer is Morricone.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: dvorak
bit it's genré Wink Tongue

Indeed it is thank you. I knew it was wrong, but oddly the spell checker didn't pick it up.
I've left it as it is or other folk won't have a clue what we're talking about!!
/ note to self, remember to delete the Swahili spell checker.  
Edit: assume you meant but...touche!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Spellchecker? Bah, I don't think half the planet knows how to spell properly so how would a computer?
It's like the old saying... "I before E except after C". That was disproven by science Wink
As long as the first and last letters are right, the middle bit can be as garbled as you want for all I care Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!