Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you use yours for?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

What do you use yours for?

Along with that little used dishwasher, we also dumped our microwave some time back as the only thing we used it for was to warm up baked beans, honestly..... although the space has now been taken up by Mrs Minivanman's new breadmaker. 

But seriously and as this article asks, what do you use a microwave for? And those microwave cookbooks, what a waste of time and money they were. Ours even told you how to cook sausages! 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/08/what-do-you-use-a-microwave-for

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: What do you use yours for?

We've just replaced our aged Panasonic microwave with a new Sharp using Tesco tokens. Stainless steel to match the new kitchen!
It's mainly used to warm up snacks which I need to balance my Diabetic diet, pre cooking jacket potatoes which are then finished on the barbecue and for baby food when the grandchildren come
We've just got a slimline dishwasher in the new kitchen too, I use but SWMBO doesn't
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
St3
All Star

We dont have one we try mostly to cook from fresh

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

We also use our steamer and pressure cooker extensively, for my diabetes I often make a meal of warmed up vegetables using the microwave

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I use it to defrost & reheat meals I've previously cooked & frozen mostly, other than that, not mjch to be honest, maybe occasionally softening butter in the colder months when the heating can't quite keep the kitchen warm enough...Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

As above mostly re-heating pre-cooked food.
I will make a pot of soup, eat some for lunch then put the rest in the fridge. I then portion it out over the next 2 days for lunch.
Also heating vegies. Tried backed tatties in them but much prefer them done in the halogen.

Halogen oven has replaced our large oven and deep fat fryer as well. Got a "frying" ring for it and make the chips and fry ups on it now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having lived on a narrowboat for 5 years,... we got used to cooking in a small oven, and due to "power supply" being limited,... we did have a microwave to assist... very useful it was too... 2 minutes and hot food...

we moved about a lot,... but have eventually settled down, ..When we moved in this house, there was no main cooker... so we ordered an electric one.... Currys delivered it... but the cable they brought with them was a "fixed length"  and it was about 8 inches too short to connect up... so it was returned... and we got a standard 4 ring gas cooker with oven...

we have two microwaves and a "mini oven" about the same size as a microwave... all neatly positioned at the end of the kitchen... use the two microwaves for the main meals....  and also the mini oven if necessary depending on what is being cooked.

Gas cooker ?   well, it has only been used twice in 5 years... and that was to do some heavy duty brass soldering, with a soldering iron in the gas jet ! ! ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One thing about living in this house is I miss having a gas cooker, I find them so much more easy to control than electric which is just too "digital" (I.E. a series ons and offs, so hot one moment, not as hot the next), kind of tempted to so what I did many years ago and use one of my camping stoves when I really need to cook properly (though back when I did that, I was more about not paying to run a ceramic-hobbed electricity gobbler)...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Cooking my cottage pie on the rare occassion i can be bothered..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Ours is used daily for something, even if it's only re-heating a forgotten cup of coffee.

Having an integral top element, it's great for baked potatoes, and SWMBO uses it for porridge. Once a week it's used for soup, and occasionally a frozen or chilled ready-meal. Fish & chips sometimes get reheated if they've cooled too much on the way home.

The defrosting facility is useful, and with a couple of special devices (which I haven't seen in the shops for a long time) we often do boiled eggs. Normally they'd explode, but the egg is placed on an aluminium carrier above a water reservoir, and then the domed, vented, aluminium-lined top is put on. Thus, the egg is shielded from the microwaves and is heated by the rising steam.

Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

I reheat forgotten hot drinks.

I warm plates for dinner.

I de-ice mince beef from the freezer

I de-ice slices of bread from the freezer

I de-ice chops and steaks from the freezer

to name but a few uses.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation