cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you use to store your passwords on?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use a USB Dongle to save my passwords on.  Before it was a floppy disk.  Using Notepad.
I don't know if you have heard about "LastPass security breach"?
36 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: What do you use to store your passwords on?

where's the 'your head' option.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That would be Other
[Edit]
Any password you can remember is the tipe that can be cracked in seconds 9 times out of 10
Community Veteran

OK, where's your proof?
I'm thinking of my password now... see if you can crack it Wink
Community Veteran

I'll second "in my head" tbh.
And sure, if you can crack any of my passwords in seconds, with rainbow tables or using EC2, I'd be surprised
David_W
Rising Star

My password has upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and punctuation.   To put it into context, using just lower case only, there is a possible 1,521,681,143,169,024 different combinations available for an 11 character password, lets be nice and say a computer can crunch 1000 combinations every second, it would take 46,000 years to crack my password, actually better make sure I have that right
1,521,681,143,169,024 / 1000 = 1521681143169.024
1521681143169.024 / 60 (second in a minute) = 25361352386.1504
25361352386.1504 / 60 (minutes in an hour) = 422689206.43584
422689206.43584 / 24 (hours in a day) = 17612050.26816
17612050.26816 / 365 (days in a year) = 48252 = how many years at 1000 combinations per second (maximum time to find an 11 digit lower case password).
Now add in upper case and numbers and you can see it's basically impossible for a computer to crack a long password.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Peter
OK, where's your proof?

Cough "Cracking 14 Character Complex Passwords in 5 Seconds" will that do?  Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

No the proof would be you cracking peters password Smiley I would like more sites to operate how pay pal operates, Even after entering my password I have to get a security code sent to me by SMS Or answer a couple secret questions.

Quote from: Midnight
Quote from: Peter
OK, where's your proof?

Cough "Cracking 14 Character Complex Passwords in 5 Seconds" will that do?  Smiley

quite frankly no, because as the article states:
Sounds like we need to put this to the test. Most hackers will crack passwords by decoding the password hash dumps from a compromised computer.

you have nothing to go on, so much harder
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Mine are probably too easy, I use and remember mnemonics, (I don't write anything down) the password could (as an exampe) be TbdaowAianok
which is remembered by the first letter of each word (which I recite as I type)
The bridegroom's doors are opened wide,
And I am next of kin
from a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
The first letter of the organisation would relate to the first letter of the password, thus the above password could related to an account with TSB  (as an example).
Edit: I voted other, but realistically it's probably on paper...............somewhere.....in a book......in a public library
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Here is some info from Security now
[quote="Passwords"]
LEO:  Yeah.  All right.  Now, let's move on to something that people don't pay enough attention to and probably should:  passwords.
STEVE:  Right.  Right.  There was an interesting comment made by actually Microsoft's senior program manager for their security policies, a guy named Jesper Johannsen, at a conference a few months ago.  He stood up in front of the room and said to everybody that the recommendations most corporations give their employees, if not, like, formal security policy, is wrong.  Most companies are now telling their employees, do not write down your passwords because of the problem of, you know, people gone at lunchtime, and someone comes into your cubicle and sees your passwords written down on post-it notes.
LEO:  Yeah.  People leave their passwords on the monitor.
STEVE:  Well, of course the classic from so many movies is somebody turning the keyboard upside down, and there's the password written on the underside of the keyboard.
LEO:  Why did he say that that was bad advice?  That seems like good advice.  Don't write it down.
STEVE:  Well, and what's interesting is that this got picked up, and then a real security guru, Bruce Schneier - who's, you know, counterpane.com, really understands security - is in complete agreement, that passwords should be written down.  The point is that, if you don't allow people to write down passwords, they are forced to choose really dumb ones.
LEO:  Because they can't remember anything better.
STEVE:  Because they can't - exactly.  They can't remember a complex password which will not be in a dictionary.  So if you - the idea is that corporations that are saying "Do not write down your passwords" are inherently forcing people to choose passwords that are easily guessable or prone to dictionary attack; that is to say, by refusing to allow people to write them down, they're having to choose bad passwords.  And that's worse than writing them down.  The point that Bruce makes, which I think is a very good one, is that, write down your passwords on a small piece of paper and put them where you put your other private pieces of paper, which is to say, in your wallet.  He makes the point, and I think it's a good one, that people are already good about protecting written-down information that they know they need to keep private.  So don't put it on a post-it note on your monitor, but stick it in your wallet.

And that is the point, most people can not remember really complicated Passwords.
Some of you may be able to remember complicated Passwords but I am not one of them.
[Edit]
Put link to Security now

uh-huh security now. leo is a clueless muppet.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Leo may be a clueless muppet but, Steve Gibson is not
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

A lot of companies say choose a hard password, don't write it down and change it every month - of course people write them down.
For my own use I have roughly two passwords - a hard one for banking etc and an easy one where money isn't involved.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ah but foxy you using an easy one where money Is not Involved Is a bad way of thinking, If they get your e-mail? Not good.