Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do with yours?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What do you do with yours?

Hey Gang!!!
No before you wonder, this isn't a topic about the creme egg lol.
It's more of a practical topic actually. See right now I'm looking at my desk and realised i'm in a pickle. I have cables all over the place (HDMI, USB), screwdrivers, other odds and s*ds etc..
Well I've always kept these bits as they always come in useful at some point. For instance a while back I had loads of computers networked by ethernet. That network has long since been dismantled and the network cables went into storage and frankly i had way too many of them. I was about to dispose of them when i had to have a redesign of our home network and ended up pulling them all back out to add two more computers and two printers to the network. So in reality it was a good job i didn't get shot of them!
The problem is though, this idea of keeping stuff has got me into a mess! I've run out of storage space, i have millions of boxes and plastic margerine tubs etc all over the place with silly fiddly bits and frankly.. I'm struggling! I suppose it doesn't help that we live in a shoebox but there must be some cure to my problems for storage? - I must be missing something. The wires do my head in.. you need a kettle lead for this, usb for that, VGA for something else, HDMI for the other thing... they all get tangled up on the desk, buried under other bits of hardware, unplugged and lost..  Grin
So gang, when you end up with redundant hardware that you know you'll need again at some point, what do you do with it? I'm really looking for a miracle solution. I've nailed my paperwork problem now with my database program so that no longer overflows but its the rest of the clutter i need to work out what to do with  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: What do you do with yours?

Sort through your stuff, find what you haven't used for 2 years and dispose of it (be it selling, giving or throwing away), then kick yourself a week afterwards when you need what you got rid of... Grin
To be honest I need to do the same, I have a lot of stuff I need to get rid of, especially as I seem to be the one who people go to to dispose of their own clutter cos I "could probably make use of it", some of it I do, the rest, er, yeah, time to have a clearout... Shocked
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 7up
Hey Gang!!!
No before you wonder, this isn't a topic about the creme egg lol.

Kinder Surprise ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What do I do with boxes of electrical bits, cable etc?,

Easy, give it all to a neighbor who is a fanatical hoarder, collector and cataloger of 'small junk items'.
Then scrounge it back when I need it Cool
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

If i have had it more than one year i give it away or bin it , like you i ended up with no space in my  pc spares cupboard  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There`s plenty of storage on here .....
18,186 TEU`s  (twentyfoot equivalent units) ( containers to you and me !)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

would be nice Shutter , but i dont think i could fit her in my cupboard  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'd be inclined to buy some C'n'C stackable storage boxes. Then go through the margarine tubs binning what was either ancient, broken or not used within about 2 years, putting what's left in the storage box and binning the margarine tub. As I bet not all of them are full, and will of course be taking up valuable space.
In my garage I have 5 Dell servers that were pensioned off when I bought the T420, I thought I'd donate them to SETI as they all work, have I done it, no. Will I get round to doing it, maybe.
Fixes: 123

I had lots of boxes of cables and old PC parts that I sorted through a couple of years ago. I threw away all broken and, to me, obsolete cables (DIN connectors, etc, as many went back to the early 70's) and whittled it down to two big boxes. One (PC parts) is in the shed at the other end of the garden and the other (cables, connectors, etc) is under a table in the living room.
I will have another sort out when we finally move and will probably try selling some of the hardware on eBay or similar.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The trouble with selling on ebay, these days, is their charges, which , mathematically, reduces the price you get from the buyer.... so much so, that is is almost not worth the hassle... Cry
With computer stuff, you will have a limited market.... either .... most people will already have the same junk as you.... or  they have moved on and binned it, so they won`t need to buy it...  Cry
Fixes: 123

I feel your pain Cry
There's always a boot sale to try if you have enough to make it worthwhile.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Quote from: shutter
The trouble with selling on ebay, these days, is their charges, which , mathematically, reduces the price you get from the buyer.... so much so, that is is almost not worth the hassle... Cry
Well there is also gumtree none of that ebay nonsense, cash in hand.
Community Veteran

You don't always get a good price on gumtree.
The last pc I bought through gumtree I didn't like so in the end so I sold it on ebay.
I cleared more than an extra £50 after taking into account all deductions and postage.
Community Veteran

Gumtree is ok for local stuff... but it has a very limited market, and very limited number of types of items available....
Ebay has the "upper hand" on the on line auction/buy it now market... unfortunately...
I do a lot of on line buying on ebay.... particularly for electronic bits and bobs... because there always seems to be "someone somewhere" that has what you want for sale...
Tried to sell a radio on there recently.... not sold.... but still got charged £35 for advertising it.... will just hang on to it..... it looks nice on my desk, with the other two... !.. ( just wanted some more room )...
Steve
Pro

Anyone know how selling on Ebay compares to selling on Amazon?