Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do retired people do all day?

maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What do retired people do all day?

Apart from spending time on the forum that is.......
My mother-in-law spends very little time on her computer, fortunately she is still fit and active and can get out to visit friends, do some volunteer work, childminding and the like. She tries to keep up with some new technology, but avoids things like social networking sites or chatrooms. She still likes to keep in touch with friends by email. She got this from one of them
Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days
interesting.
Well, for example, the other day my wife and I went into town and went into a shop.
We were only in there for about 5 minutes.
When we came out, there was a traffic warden writing out a parking ticket.
We went up to him and said, 'Come on, how about giving a senior citizen a break?'
He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a .....!!!. He glared
at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tyres.
So my wife called him a .....!!!!. He finished the second ticket and put it on the
windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket. This went on for
about 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote..
Personally, we didn't care. We came into town by bus. We try to have a little fun
each day now that we're retired. It's important at our age.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: What do retired people do all day?

I just keep working but at my own pace; keeps the brain in good nick and supplements the pension that the greedy bankers have decimated several times over.
(I'd have been much better just putting my pension contributions under the mattress, but that's probably a common story)
Look up decimated if you're not sure - it means kill one in every ten.
Lurker
Grafter

Look on the bright side - many people approaching retirement won't be able to afford to. It's little comfort I'm sure, but hey - take the good news where you find it.
Just look at all these people suffering the effects of the current downturn - for those out of work, how can they afford to keep up NI payments during their out-of-work periods?
How many can continue to save for their personal pension funds?
How many even *have* some sort of financial planning for the years when they hope to give up work?
OK, *very* limited brightness, more of a dim-glow side than a bright side, but you get the picture...
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
how can they afford to keep up NI payments during their out-of-work periods?

You don't have to, just register with the Job Centre and you get credits (been there, got several T-shirts).
Lurker
Grafter

Aha - fortunately never been in that situation, hopefully it'll never be handy to know!
Euge
Grafter

The money I'm receiving on the dole from the job centre comes from my NI payments and runs out in november this year. However I don't plan to be unemployed that long.
Lurker
Grafter

So, if your dole money comes from your NI payments, do you have to pay it back then in order to receive your full pension entitlement in later years?
Euge
Grafter

I guess so. But then again I thought NI was no longer going to exist when I come to retire. I think that in future all pensions will be private pensions from your company/companies you have worked for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

No.
it is from the NI payments in the previous two tax years.
jmd
Grafter

No your dole [Jobseekers Allowance please] payments do not affect your state pension............................ you can look it up on the internet and I would do for you but as pages are taking for ever to load at present you may be retired by time I find details!
I am retired [from Jobcentre Plus where I dealt with people on the "dole"!] fortunately and spend my day taking dog for walks, shopping when it is quiet at supermarkets, using bus pass to go to shops in town, reading book from library, watching daytime TV, visiting friends, talking to friends on phone, using computer [and internet when it is functioning]  etc etc
Not sure how I ever found time to go to work actually!
Financially - well can't afford holidays abroad now and watch the purse more closely but manage. You budget accordingly.
Euge
Grafter

Still remains that because I was born a few years before the cut off point for this new scheme I will miss out on the benefits of state pension.
Community Veteran

I retired early and am so glad I did.  I am always busy and often wonder how I ever had time to work Wink Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was one of the lucky ones, on a final salary pension scheme, I had a few year of good over time, especially on a six week trip every summer for six years working long shifts, I had hoped to get to a long service, as I started work just after the age of 15, could nearly make 50 years.  Any way at 43 year it was strongly rumoured that overtime was going to be clamped on, I worked it out the the limit of percentage of final salary with no overtime in a few years would be less than if I got out then, just before Xmas the company made a voluntary redundancy offer, a large lump sum and immediate pension, I knew better than my work mates, they claimed it was on base salery and not gross,
Took it, no 400 mile a week travel to work, no NI to pay and over 75% of base salary, Quids in pocket
Lots of time to go bird watching, time for several holidays a year, go for long walks, do craft work, annoy you lot on here, all since 1996