cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do YOU call your wi-fi connection ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

What do YOU call your wi-fi connection ?

The BBC has claimed that more and more people using Wi-Fi are coming up with colourful and often obscene names for their wireless networks.
With the knowledge that their neighbours can see their Wi-Fi names, some people are using their internet as a way to pass messages on to their neighbours, one of the most common being "We can hear you having sex".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/18/name-your-wi-fi-network
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: What do YOU call your wi-fi connection ?

Yes - I've always noticed a lack of imagination when looking at available networks.
Be careful connecting to the Ritz if you see it in your list Cheesy
Edit: I wonder how long it will be before someone gets a visit from the local bobby because a neighbour is offended by his SSID Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Not long Mav!
I'm surprised there haven't been arrests for some bluetooth device names  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Here's more...

Readers' best passive-aggressive wi-fi names
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20005157
Fixes: 47

Nosey
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
mcintoshuk
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Well, I'm not particularly imaginative on that front...  My WiFi network has been around for a long time, since 802.11/b was as good as it got and I was the only wireless user anywhere around here.  So it seemed logical to name it after my housing estate.  Over time, I started running a second wireless access point - I still had some old kit that was using 802.11/b that would only support WEP (e.g. Playstation Portable) but wanted to use WPS/PSK on newer 802.11/g and 802.11/n equipment so the SSIDs got suffixes to show which was which: -BG and -GN.
A couple of years ago I think I could see about 4, maybe 5 SSIDs in range of my house, mostly only showing about one bar of signal strength.  These days I easily pick up 11 or more, a few with three or four bars, obviously my nearest neighbours.  At best, maybe one of those 11 or so has actually changed the SSID from the provider's default, so I guess my neighbours are even less imaginative than me Roll eyes.