cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to watch for in changing ISP?

peter10
Grafter

What do I need to watch for in changing ISP?

I change Energy supplier regularly and have even changed banks but PN have been my only ISP. However several suppliers are quite a bit cheaper and retentions don't seem to want to retain me as a customer by only offering me a slight discount on a two year contract which is definitely not on. Therefore I am considering moving. What do I need  to be aware of that could go wrong? I know that Talktalk have a poor reputation for customer service but almost 30 minutes on hold for customer options with PN isn't good. Other options seem to be EE, Sky or Primus who seem to work out at around £50 cheaper per annum. I know that I should migrate and not order a cease on the line but am apprehensive about other pitfalls so any advice would be welcome. Both phone and broadband are with PN at the moment.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What do I need to watch for in changing ISP?

FIrst thing that comes to mind is...... "better the devil you know........ ".
and is it really worth all the hassle to change from PN to any other company to save £1.00 per week?  With all the unknowns involved? 
Will the changeover be "seamless"... I doubt it...
How long will you be without the internet?
Can you afford to be without the internet ?  to save £1.00 per week ? 
If you were to be able to save a significant amount... ( I`m talking over £200 per year ) then it might be worth it... but for £1.00 ?  not for me to change....
peter10
Grafter

I can understand your point Shutter but £50 a year is a lot to me and there is no way that I want a two year contract. As a minor point the lady that I spoke to in retentions gave me the impression that PN didn't want to keep me and said that part of my present retention offer (soon to run out) was impossible to do despite it being there.
Community Veteran

It's pretty much horses for courses - who knows.
What someone hates someone likes.
For instance my brother has been with talk talk a couple of years now. He says it's great. Only had one problem which was sorted quickly.
As shutter said better the devil you know...  really applies here.
You won't know until you jump. But it seems plusnet are pushing hard and are only interested in good deals for new customers.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Are you using Plusnet email addresses? If so there is the hassle of changing all those or paying Plusnet to keep them.
peter10
Grafter

Thanks alanf but luckily I only use PN email for odd things so not a big problem.
Fixes: 125

I was in a similar position early 2012 where I needed to make savings regularly and quickly.
Having been a BB customer with PN since 2002 (and BT since the early 1990's) and extremely happy with the service and support (with PB not BT) I was reluctant to change but the maths spoke for themselves and I moved to LLU with TT till they increased their prices some 8 months later. In those months I was with TT I saved over £200 then returned to PN with an excellent deal which turned out to be even better than when with TT!
My experience with TT wasn't that great due to their CS being in outer Mongolia, Mars or wherever. Apart from the language and script-reading issues I never felt they really cared about any issue I had. The forum was OK for support but not a patch on here.
Just my pennies. Good luck whichever direction you go

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Salmo
£50 a year is a lot to me

Does PN not still sell advance 12 months line rental? That alone would make you the saving without jumping ship. If of course you don't already use that option.
peter10
Grafter

Thanks but I use the value line rental saver which is due for renewal soon so unfortunately no saving there. I have a feeling that I might have to follow Mav's route and change and then only if unhappy with new ISP return making use of the casback sites and offers that PN make to new customers to get a good deal. A pity as I have found customer support with PN to be good but there is a limit as to what I will/can pay.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

For me a UK point of contact is important.
This morning I received an email from PN to say they were sorry to lose me as a phone customer - but I hadn't made any request to leave.  Huh
Perhaps it was PN's fault, perhaps the blame lay elsewhere.
The point is - a quick call to a non-scripted adviser in Yorkshire nipped the problem in the bud; I wouldn't be confident it would be that simple with some ISPs.  Wink
Not young enough to know everything