Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What colour is the dress?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What colour is the dress?

So I was shown by my daughter what colour was the dress?
At the time I saw the dress as gold and white, however later today it changed to black and blue.
What do you see?  Daily Mail Article
image attached
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: What colour is the dress?

Every photo I've seen it looks gold and white...

...except for those photos that show it as black and blue Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Terrible quality of photograph.... if that had been one of mine, I would have binned it...... After reading the DM write up... it would definitely have been binned...
Whoever "processed" it... either...... "processed" it that way on purpose... or didn`t know what they were looking at because it was a lousy pic in the first place...
Community Veteran

what country is this flag ?
Community Veteran

The  colour changes apparently from person to person dependent on a condition in the eye. Heard it on BBC News.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The amount of light and colour of light falling on it is also a factor.
Community Veteran

OK... the flag is China.......
Took me all of 5 seconds to change the colour and re save it...
Nowt to do with how people "see " it.... all to do with "processing" and/or over/under exposure of the original pic....
Community Veteran

Andrew Lotery, Professor of Ophthalmology in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Southampton, told MailOnline that the difference in perception could be due to lighting conditions, the device the image is being viewed on and even a person’s age and gender.
He explained that everyone has different combinations of the genes that create the sense of colour for red, green and blue and because these genes are on the X chromosome, women tend to have more variations.
As a result, women have a more dynamic range of colour so may be more susceptible and sensitive to specific colours. This may explain why women flip between seeing the different colours, and men typically don’t.
He added that some people have more than one ‘dose’ of a blue colour gene, as an example, so they will see higher or lower levels of this colour, too.
Additionally, as people get older their perception of colour changes.
The lens of the eye gradually yellows with age and this exposes more blue, continued Professor Lotery.
This will influence how deep or strong a colour appears and could explain why older people may see the blues and blacks rather than the whites and golds.
He gave the example that painters such as Monet and Rembrandt painted scenes when they were younger that were predominantly one colour, but the same scenes featured more red when painted later in life.
Elsewhere, Professor Lotery said: ‘The occipital lobe is responsible for actually processing the vision and there may be an element of optical illusion to [the photo of the dress].’
Many work by contrasting images and colours, and this contrast could explain the differences seen on the dress.
‘It’s quite a striking contrast between the black and the blue’ continued Professor Lotery.
‘For example, it could be that if the lighting conditions slightly changed, the person viewing the image is getting more stimulus on the blue photo receptor, for example, than the red.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I must be odd - don't agree please  Grin - but I see it as gold and blue
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

So do I. Grin
David
Community Veteran

@ Artmo..... re the last line of that " explanation"......
On the other hand... it might just be how it was processed... as I have shown with my  pic of the chinese flag, flying from the Portsmouth Naval Dockyard Signal Tower...
I increased the blue... and decreased the red.. and slightly decreased the green.. to achieve the colour changes....
nobody can tell me the second flag,... Which I see as RED and so do millions of chinese !!!.. is anything but RED.. even a professor of opthalmics could not deny that... !
Community Veteran

So how do you account for a number of people seeing different colours whilst looking at the same picture Undecided You must read the whole article and not take things out of context.
Community Veteran

because the pic is not a "true colour" pic...it has been processed...... in the same way as those stupid "dot" pictures... where you are supposed to stare at them for 5 minutes and "see" something that isn`t there... like railway lines that "appear" to join together on the horizon ( assuming a straight stretch of track)... but you know that it is not possible...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's a horrible dress, doesn't matter what the colour is.... Grin
Fixes: 47

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead in it Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation