Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What children think and feel about growing up poor BBC1 07/06/2011@22.35

Steve
Pro

What children think and feel about growing up poor BBC1 07/06/2011@22.35

Paige is embarrassed to invite friends to her damp tower block flat
More than 3.5m children live below the poverty line in the UK, which has one of the worst child poverty rates in the industrialised world. Four youngsters explain what it is like growing up when a family has little money.
"You must be kind of bad to put people in houses like this," says 10-year-old Paige. She is talking about her home, a high-rise flat in the Gorbals area of Glasgow.
"Me and my friends found needles in the bins when we were playing - it's not very nice to see that at our age when you go out to play."
Needles aside, Paige's main problem is the inside of her flat, where damp covers most of the walls.

From Here...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13632856
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: What children think and feel about growing up poor BBC1 07/06/2011@22.35

Well lets start a war.. They are poor - well so am I - they have a house - provided by the government probably - paid by the SS?
When I grew up we lived in a TIED house - when/if you lost your job you lost the house as well. The pay was low because you got a "free" house.
We didn't have mains electric till the mid sixties - I remember the navies coming in and installing electric poles etc.
When we were sent to our room we had at best a book/comic to read - no tv/computer/game console.
And they think they are bad off  Crazy Crazy
Steve
Pro

Ah but that was then and this Is now and things have changed ( slightly )
Fixes: 102

The poverty line will never disappear, as I believe (though could be wrong) that children in poverty are those living on less than an X% of an average wage - or something like that.
We know nothing about this girls family maybe she could say.. "I can't believe my parents are so cruel to me that they won't go and get a job so I can have a better life"
But he an emotive and scant of information article. Still no child deserves to be bullied because of it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

same old, same old.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tricky topic.
I Guess a lot is down to your parent(s) or carers.
I was brought up in a fairly poor environment but most other people we knew were in the same situation so there was not much competition if someone got a bike it's unlikely everyone else felt they had missed out. In my own case (single parent upbringing) I made a bike from spare parts obtained from older children and a frame from the local tip.
These days children would not do that, if they don't have a specific make or model of something then they are made to feel left out.
My mother was a workaholic and in her life time managed to pay off  the mortgage on a small house (damp walls, no central heating, rotting window frames & More ice on the inside of the windows than out on cold mornings)  but many years later she went into a nursing home so it had to be sold to pay the fees, I often felt she had worked like a slave for nothing
I Have worked no where near as hard but have have ended up with far more than my mother ever had but I always feel the need to be doing something either physically or mentally even though I am retired, so I guess this must have been picked up from my mother.
So it comes back to my first statement much is down to your parents or carers, if they display little drive or ambition then you will think this is the way things are and may well pick up those same ideas or attitudes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The "consumer economy" has a lot to blame as well. As has been said if the trainers don't have "designer" label on them then they aren't wanted - even though they will do the same job.
Ice on the windows made me remember back to the 70's, getting up to go to school with ice on INSIDE of the windows, and my glass of water by the bed side FROZEN. Building things was the normal but now it is BUY BUY BUY. People spend £100's on toys that last for MINUTES before the kids are bored with them as they have so many to choose from. When I got a present that was about it ONE maybe two but not the dozens that are given now.
Fixes: 123

There seems to be a competition as to who can spend the most on gifts.
I've never understood the need for this but, maybe as you say, it's down to background.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well what can i say.. I grew up in a really desperate situation and i'm in my 20s now. I never wanted the latest and greatest, i only ever had one pair of Nike trainers when i was 5 or 6 - bought for me by someone else when my existing shoes were dropping to bits.
I've never had fashionable clothes, never had a great image been laughed at, taken the p*ss out of etc and you lot are a tarring us all with the same brush.
I've struggled for everything i have at the moment and i'm still in such a fragile position i could loose it all easily. Not that its much, i don't have anything others would be proud of, a wreck of an old PC, a speaker system i got damaged and repaired (like the computer itself), a ton od dodgy hard drives that are all threatening to die....
Yeah, i'm a real stuck up badge and brand consumer I am aren't I.
I don't suppose you'd believe it if i told you i still have the same worn out pair of boots from 7 years ago on the stairs.. ok not used much now except for DIY but despite letting in water they still have their use. I don't throw out stuff that still has a practical life and if i see something on freecycle i'm confident of repairing i'll try to get it because it can save me time and money over buying a new one - which i don't have money for. That is also how i got my printer - dead from freecycle and repaired myself. Cordless drill (ok that didn't last long but i rebuilt the gearbox myself and pt new bearings in).
My sofa has a big rip in the middle, the springs are gone and i can't replace it but no, according to you guys its people like me who are snobs and only want the best  Roll eyes
I did once treat myself to a netbook and a dongle - I hope that you'll forgive me for that.
Seriously guys, you might think that us poor kids are all snobs but you're only hearing the tales of the upper class poor kids (the ones who claim they've had a hard life when its actually quite cushy). You're (as usual for the human race) turning a blind eye to those who have struggled, are still struggling and will always 'make do with' to survive.
I've worked hard in every job i've had and i've been treated like dirt for it. I've had people slag me off, try to get me sacked, even been made into the black sheep of the entire department. Quite literally if anything went wrong it was automatically my fault. I worked my backside off for those employers in physical tough demanding jobs with 2 health conditions that were physically impairing and painful. I still grafted and grafted and got treated like dirt. I was even ridiculed for one of my health conditions at a team meeting by management. I've even had deductions from my salary made just to get at me and emails that admit to penalising me.
Despite this, us poor folk are apparently snobs. Apparently i only want a new speaker system made by the greatest manufacturer, my computers must all be brand spanking new, my clothes must all be made by the top brands (as seen on TV of course) and i must be claiming benefits too.
My reality is very different. It's a struggle, i can't get any benefits despite being out of work, i have no family, no friends, my life is miserable, and to keep me going i repair a few things that other people don't want and then use them myself.
Apparently though thats a sin. It's people like you lot being so judgemental that make my life even more miserable because you see the 'rich' of the poor society and get jealous of us poor people because of them while ignoring people like me - because you don't want to admit we exist.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

I was brought up bad, But not as bad as some of you based on your stories and no doubt I had It easy, Where as my father probably had It more tough than me. Children Is our future though and If they are brought up poor no doubt they probably will have a poor education as well, I know my education was crap! Some might say That's my fault that my education got hit badly but I can assure you what does go on at home DOES affect us children at school.
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

There will always be child poverty for a simple reason that no-one in government will ever address:
People who can't afford kids being too lazy or stupid to stop themselves having them
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Snob. What are you saying that only the financially privileged should be able to have children?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: HighLordPhanty
People who can't afford kids being too lazy or stupid to stop themselves having them

Perhaps fertility should be means tested then?
Or perhaps an abortion should be obligatory if you are poor?