cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What car?

Fixes: 125

What car?

My Nissan Primera will be 10 next year and it's time for a change. To be honest it's got a few problems which would probably cost a fair few hundred but so I'd rather put that towards a deposit for a new (second-hand one).
My needs have changed somewhat since I bought the Primera in 2006 mainly in that my mother, who we take out frequently and on holiday is wheelchair bound. The Primera was great with lots of boot space but not enough for the chair, cases and three/four passengers. Also, she now struggles to get in/out of the car as it it so low.
Does anyone have any suggestions of suitable vehicles which would be high enough to make it easier for her to get in/out or even just push her into the car whilst still in the wheelchair?
This is a new area for me and any help would be much appreciated.
Ta.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What car?

Have seen many "conversions" that will allow the wheelchair passenger to be carried via a hideaway ramp to the rear access.... not specifically, but this one came to mind....
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/renault/kangoo/used-renault-kangoo-1-4-rn-5dr-crewe-fpa-201212...
You could also Google your requirement for Cars with Wheelchair access and see what comes up... alternatively, keep your eyes open at supermarket , and other, carparks, then speak to the driver(s) to gauge their opinions on suitability...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Might try looking at a Citroën Berlingo, car version, my sister has one (its yellow and named daffodil Crazy) looks high enough for a wheelchair, she carries a cello on a wheeled trolley around in it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Citroen looks good but I suppose part of me doesn't want to move away from Nissan so am looking at the Note.
I'd prefer petrol (only because of the cost of fuel).
I like Shutter's suggestion of checking out other users at the supermarket.
There's no rush as we won't be going on holiday with my mother till early May next year. But SWMBO also wants a car that will still look good for our own holidays as well as practical for shopping.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Mav.... Diesel has a better mileage per gall or ltr than petrol.... I haven`t done the maths, ( but someone will I am sure to prove me wrong)... and the difference in price per ltr/gallon is not in the frame when you work out how many miles you get to the ltr/gallon...
My 2001 Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI diesel, gives me a regular return of 65 miles per gallon.... even though it has done 186,000 miles, never had any problems starting it, and never changed the injectors,  ( spark plugs need constant service and changes over that many miles , and they ain`t 5/- a set any more ! !   Cry  \(oh and don`t forget the points and other electrical stuff you need to keep in top condition)...
My car was rated at 58mpg as a brand new car, and I hate to say it but I have never ever had it that low, even on mountain climbing roads in Wales for touring hols....
I used to be a "petrol head"... but since my first diesel, 20 years ago ,  I would never go back to a petrol car again...

edit edit edit
as a comparison....
Skoda Fabia 1.6 petrol 4 cyl 2007 on.... 105 bhp is rated at 37 MPG
Skoda Fabia 1.9 Diesel 4 cyl 2007 on.... 105bhp is rated at 57 MPG
By Parkers guide.... ( available at all good newsagents and supermarkets )
I am sure from those figures, you can see the definite advantage of Diesel over Petrol in MPG... therefore it follows that (although appearing more expensive at the pump) it is cheaper in the long run

Thanks for that, Shutter.
Around 25 years ago all I wanted was diesel but never had one up to now and I like the sound of diesel above petrol.
Lots of time to look around and will obviously do a lot of test driving Cool

What about the Vauxhall Zafira 7 seater?
Does anyone have any knowledge of this car, reliability, strengths/weaknesses?

Community Veteran

Suggestion.... use Google, and see what reviews you come up with.... much wider "spectrum" of users than just PlusNet forum
2nd Suggestion.... get a copy of "Parkers Guide"... or the alternative ( cant think of the name ) both are about £5 ... they give a lot of spec details ( as I posted) about individual models
Make a list of those you think MAY be suitable... ( after a Supermarket carpark poll ! ) and then go through Parkers to see which would give you best value for money.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@mav, If you like the Primera you might consider the Tino version. Higher roof line and much roomier.
With similar disabled passenger issues to you I looked at one before purchasing the current Toyota, but was put off by the belt drive automatic gearbox fitted to the one I looked at but otherwise came very close to buying it, its quite a well equipped car or was in the top-of-range I was looking at.
The dealer sold it shortly afterwards to a near neighbour of mine, seems to have been Ok belt drive box or not.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.