Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do with....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What can I do with....

What can I do with £200-£300?
I want to start my own little biz and aim towards getting out of the work-for-someone-else regime.
Obviously its a very small investment amount but surely I must be able to do something with it to generate income?
I thought about going back to kleeneze but they're rather expensive to join now (£75 years ago - now its over £150 and it takes a few weeks to start seeing profit).
I'm into technical stuff and I suppose trading electrical stuff, computers, satnavs etc on ebay would be cool but probably rather complex....
Anyway, anyone out there got any ideas? - I'm really in a bit of a pickle at the moment. My cars cambelt needs changing and no mechanics around here can do it (its a rare car and its got them all stumped). Engine needs to come right out to be done - basically £1k!. Obviously it would take me an age to save that from my normal wages so I really need to start generating cash instead.
I'd even consider market trading at the weekends if I knew what would sell and where to get it!
So guys, can you give me any pointers please?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: What can I do with....

You could invest the £300 in an ISA, and in only 25 years you'll have enough money to repair your car!*
Ok, maybe not.
*Assuming a constant interest rate of 5%. Terms and conditions apply. Etc. etc. And before someone clever points it out, yes, I know it'd take longer than that owing to inflation, but I was just keeping things simple.
Community Veteran

lol
Username
Grafter

I don't know where you're based, but where we are it took ages to find a reliable window cleaner... For 300 you should be able to get a good ladder, bucket, squeezy thing, and (if the cars not working) a wheelbarrow and have some change  left for printing so cards....
N/A

We need a new window cleaner - preferably one that actually cleans the windows...
Market traders around these parts go on annual buying trips to China and order a 40' shipping container full of stuff.
When it arrives, you stick it into storage, then take it to the markets at weekends. Plenty of money to be made if you want to go to the effort (plus a holiday in China to boot!)
Community Veteran

Haven't really got a head for heights lol. I've never trusted ladders much...
My sense of balance hasn't been at its greatest the last couple of years (look down over a balcony and I feel like the place is moving) so I'm noit sure that would be the right career path for me... at least if I want to live a fairly decent lifespan....
Any other ideas out there? I'm still thinking about kleeneze, but thats £200 to get into straight away. Then the cost of fuel to drive to the target area, money needed to order the goods (my credit record doesn't shine much lol)... I'm thinking I wouldn't be off to much of a start!
I'd thought about getting a VPS and just selling off cheap hosting but the market is so saturated with those sorts of deals I doubt I could even give it away free!
I did have another idea similar to the milliondollarhomepage but (well I think) better but I lack the scripting skills required to put it together!
So... back to square one... Any ideas?!
James
Grafter

Get a Wii with a few games Smiley
geewizz
Grafter

I have a foolproof moneymaking idea for you. Send me a cheque for £200 and I'll mail you with full details.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I originally posted this on another thread, however, reading about your fear of heights (I have same problem) it may amuse you rather than be of any use ! !
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you go for the "window cleaning" option, don`t forget to add in "gutter cleaning".... very useful to lots of houses to clear the leaves, etc from the gutters.....
Another point.... make sure you have two insurances......
1. Public Liability, upto or in excess of £1million,
and
2.  Personal accident.....
1.  in case you fall off the ladder and damage the property, cause a traffic accident, destroy the conservatory.
2. in case you fall off the ladder, break your neck and can`t work for the rest of your life.
apart from that....... Cheesy

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now for another idea...... Car cleaning/valeting ? Not sure if you have any of that kind of service where you live, but you could look in yellow pages, and ring a couple of them up, and see how much they charge...... and maybe if they want a partnerHuh?Huh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

How about training to be a mechanic!?!  They always seem well paid from the labour costs on my invoices when I take my car in!  Shocked  Plus you could change your own cam belt in your spare time!
Crazy
Phil
Community Veteran

Is your car the one you were trying to get in the classified section of this forum?
WANTED: Renault Safrane 2.5Ltr, Mk2 Exec
Must be 2.5 auto, on the road, working (obviously), have electrically adjusting seats and be the volvo engine.

* okrzynska

« Reply #1 on 20/02/2008, 15:52 »

Got one!

Cheesy Embarrassed Undecided Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Is your car the one you were trying to get in the classified section of this forum?
WANTED: Renault Safrane 2.5Ltr, Mk2 Exec
Must be 2.5 auto, on the road, working (obviously), have electrically adjusting seats and be the volvo engine.

Yep Wink
Got it, love it to bits but the cambelt needs changing!.. Anyway, great car so I'd like to keep it on the road!
Unfortunately its proving troublesome - It needs the engine taking right out in order to get the belt done (someone stuffed it up and rounded off the bolt heads). 10 hour removal job... expensive.
Need to find a way to make cash.... lol I suppose we could all say that anyway Wink
Community Veteran

If you have the volvo engine, (even with the rounded bolts) perhaps a volvo workshop may be able to help?
If you are contacting "mobile" mechanics, mention that it has the volvo engine, may not be so difficult to get someone to do the job...