cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What brand microfilters do you buy, and from where?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

What brand microfilters do you buy, and from where?

Following recent problems, I think it might be a good idea to change mine, that have been in use sometime. ISTM that now ADSLNation is Tandy owned that prices have escalated, and that there are fewer other outlets.

What seller do you use, and what brand?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: What brand microfilters do you buy, and from where?

Er, BT (the Mk.4 faceplate), and ebay, them microfilters these days are pointless...

Luzern
Pro

An opinion that! However, the set up that suits me would seem to make the faceplate unsuitable. We have well enough unavoidable clutter by the master socket, and run computer and router from a hard wired extension in the room above the master socket.

Please try to be helpful!Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Are you ADSL or FTTC? How many extension sockets in total are there?

Filtered faceplates do have terminals for connecting unfiltered DSL extension wiring.

Luzern
Pro

At present ADSL with but if my normally good for distance connection changes I could be tempted1

We use only the master socket and the hard wired extension; that's all!

Community Veteran

Luzern wrote:

Please try to be helpful!Grin

Look up the Mk4 faceplate, you'll find you can run a Data extension off it to "the room above" from within the socket, thus rendering the microfilters utterly pointless, research dear boy, research!!! Crazy

Luzern
Pro

I'll have a look, but in my defence I have to say that so much comment, wherever  from, has been on the need to run xDSL from the master, that I may have misled myself.

BTW I don't need to do anything to the extension socket; correct?

Community Veteran

With the previous ISP (where I got slow speeds no matter what socket the modem was plugged into) I ran an extension from the master to where I keep the router upstairs off the data terminals inside the faceplate, just requires two wires (twisted pair preferably) and that's it...

As for the extension, if there's no phone used on it shouldn't need any modification, just make sure that only terminals 2 and 5 are connected, and that it's marked as "Data Only" or something to that effect.

Community Veteran

For the extension, you'll need an RJ11 socket to plug in the modem cable. So if you're not using a microfilter on that socket, you'd need something else that provides an RJ11 socket, because you don't tend to get good quality cables with an RJ11 plug on one end and a BT phone plug on the other.

Luzern
Pro

I do have a microfilter on that extension, but no phone. The phone is the slave.

The Mk4 looks a bit bulky, what are the dimensions? master socket in situ projects only about .25" from the wall, and am wondering how the MK4 could safely fit to it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

These jobbies:

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/1652-adsl-nation-xf-1e/

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Do you have an NTE5C master socket? If not, you'd actually be replacing the master socket with the NTE5C rather than just getting a filtered faceplate.

I don't think there's much to gain by having a filtered faceplate, if you are going to have the modem on an extension, and don't have any other extensions that would be filtered by the faceplate.