cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What annoys you?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What annoys you?

I was in a local branch of "Pets at home" this morning for some food for our cat. While in there I looked for some collars for her, and found a different type to the ones she normally wears, but was unsure if the "break-open" latch would pass through the cat-flap opening magnet (PetMate) normally attached to her collar. "No problem" said the assistant, bring them back for a refund if it doesn't fit" So far so good...
The magnet didn't fit, so I returned for my refund:
The amount was 2 x.97p
"Have you got your receipt?"
"Yes" handing it over.
"Can I have your name"
"Why"
"The till won't let me refund without it"
"You'll be wanting my address and postcode next?
"Yes I will"
"I don't want to give you my life history to get a £1.96 refund, just give me the refund please"]
"I'm sorry I can't do that"
The store manager appeared, and a small queue was forming.
The conversation was repeated for the managers benefit.
manager: "Sorry sir that's quite correct, no refunds without the customers details"
We'll draw a veil over what transpired next, but suffice to say, I still have the collars and no refund.
Anybody want two cat collars with plastic break-apart latches, that won't pass through a CatMate magnet?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
20 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: What annoys you?

Why not try again - but give some fake details Smiley
Although they will probably expect at least 3 proofs of identity.

Community Veteran

Trading standards, they have to give a refund if its not suitable for use.  As you checked before hand asking about it there even more in the wrong.  All thats required is proof of purchase and a reasonable reason, ok its not worth much but your one of possibly many customers getting ripped off.
Which bring me to my pet hate, Stand your ground, Complain
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It may be "policy" for the store to request personal information regarding the refund, to (supposedly) prevent staff from doing (personal) refunds from the till to cover for money "missing".
However. I don`t think it is a "legal requirement"...
if you want to kick up a stink, then get in touch with your local trading standards office,
You could try the "nice approach", by writing a letter to the head of customer services of the company concerned. mark the envelope "FOR THE PERSONAL ATTENTION OF :- "
After finding out his/her name from the "contact us" bit on their website....
Community Veteran

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Why not try again - but give some fake details

What annoys still further, is that they already have my details, which would have been transmitted with my debit card.
I've calmed down somewhat since this morning but, it was the attitude of the shop staff (in fairness they probably didn't like mine much) that galled. Very probably it was to verify that the details I was supposed to give were the same as those that came with my card as shutter alluded to, but it was never mentioned only: "Oh we don't use your details in mailing lists" or something very similar, which immediately made me suspicious that was precisely why they wanted it.
I'm off now to vent my ire on at a bowls match...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew

I'm off now to vent my ire on at a bowls match...

Wouldn't want to upset you again today Peter. Roll eyes
I think Shutter's answer is correct though.
jmd
Grafter

You are lucky Peter - you have a local Pets@Home store - my nearest is abot 12 miles away!
But, most stores now do not ask for personal details when you get a refund so why they have that policy I do not know.
Community Veteran

I had very similar treatment when I went into my local Hydro-Electric shop to buy an electric fan heater.
I asked for discount - and was immediately given 10% ( always worth asking ) but the young assistant asked for for addresss and phone number.
When I declined - I was told I couldn't have the discount then.
So maybe as Shutter says - it's a meassure to help prevent fraud in the shops ?.
Community Veteran

So did you stick to your principle or take the discount Smiley
Community Veteran

I stuck to my principle, but in my case it was only for £1.96.
Won the bowls match though.

Community Veteran

Stuck to my guns and asked for the manager, - who took over - gave me my discount and no details given.
Still got my guarantee.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Just to balance things out, I thought I was going to have a similar problem this morning but...
Yesterday I bought a framed wall mirror from B&Q, took it home and out of it's shrink wrapping and hung it on the wall in the bedroom in the afternoon. All seemed fine. But in the evening I returned to find a crack had appeared across one corner and on closer examination I could see that the softwood frame had distorted, and in my opinion caused the crack.
This morning I took the mirror back thinking I would have great difficulty in convincing them of my case but to my great surprise the two ladies I was speaking to (an assistant and manager) agreed with my opinion and immediately refunded the cost (£19.9Cool to my debit card as they didn't have a replacement in stock. Nice when it happens that way Smiley
Cliff
Community Veteran

Homebase are good on refunds or replacements.  Their receipt states that if you don't like a product within a certain time you can just take it back.  I know this works because I recently returned a bathroom cabinet without difficulty.
Community Veteran

Maybe this is something that Plusnet need to take on board.
I and others seemingly have been overcharged, and needed refunds - and they either do it via the bank and they say it will take ten days - or they send a cheque, and after the postal delay, putting the cheque in the bank and it clearing it takes a week or more.
They do seem able to do debit/credit card refunds - but only if pushed.
So PN how about learning from B&Q ?  Smiley
All it needs is one card machine in the accounts office - or some of that clever software which ISP's should be good at.
itsme
Grafter

Credit cards have legal requirements covering them. If goods are purchased on a credit card then the refund has to be to the credit card and not cash etc. This is the reason that cashback is not available on credit cards. Can't think of a reason that a refund can't be done to a credit card if another payment method has been used other then any hidden chargers to the retailer for doing so.