cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a way to run a railway

Community Veteran

What a way to run a railway

Whilst I tend to be very pro rail, having used it extensively and had few problems, I find the situation today where London Midland can't operate trains becuase no drivers volunteered rather stupid.
How they can expect staff to work for only basic pay on a rest day I just don't know.
No doubt there is more to the story than can be seen - and perhaps the unions are being a little pig headed too perhaps, but no other company has had this problem so it rather points to London Midland. I can't say I have ever been impressed with Govia - the franchise holder.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8240232.stm
http://www.londonmidland.com/
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What a way to run a railway

Quote from: mal0z

How they can expect staff to work for only basic pay on a rest day I just don't know.

As was reported on TV this morning, it is stupid trying to run a 7 day service with a 6 day commitment !... but here is the crux of the matter.....
quote from the above bbc news item
An agreement where drivers were paid double on Sundays ended last weekend.
unquote
so in effect the staff who are prepared to work on Sundays, are being asked to take a 50 % pay cut for working that day,
and keeping the rail company in the passenger`s "good books" (if that is at all possible ! )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In the couple of shift jobs I've done they were always on a rolling roster, I can't believe every drivers rest days are over a Saturday/Sunday week-end, should be paid the going enhanced rate for working rest days whether they're Saturday/Sunday or Wednesday and Thursday etc.
Reckon there's more to this than meets the eye.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

London Midland have a contractual obligation to run a service 7 days a week.  As already said, their staff only have a 6 day obligation. Bad planning somewhere it seems Shocked
Community Veteran

no other company has had this problem so it rather points to London Midland.

I can't remember the intricacies, but EMT also had serious problems running Sunday services a couple of months back.
Community Veteran

The unions are still very strong in parts of the transport industry.  Don't know if this is a unionised company. 
Community Veteran

Probably is, wonder if the ubiquitous Bob Crowe is in the background somewhere? mind you he's not noted for his quiet understated approach, so perhaps he isn't.
jim:quote

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Artmo - there is nothing wrong with good trade unions, the same as there is nothing wrong with good management. But as we have seen in Britain we have bad examples of both, especially in the car industry etc.
yes the RMT and ALSEF do some have somewhat belligerent union bosses .
many train companies and their union counterparts have done well - GNER were a good example.
I quote the management of car companies such as Nissan, Toyota, Honda - who say that the British work force is one of the best in the world, and that they " they Japanese led management have had no problems with British Unions.
Compare that with the appalling British management of companies like British Leyland - that then bred equally appalling trade union leaders.
Community Veteran

Mal, I didn't say there was anything wrong with trade unions.  Simply asked the question if it was a unionised company.  I agree with Pewlew,  Bob Crowe possibly isn't involved or we would have heard from him Wink  In a recent dispute on the London Tube he was on TV and radio for days - and didn't answer a question put to him.
Community Veteran

Actually Bob Crowe was on the radio news ( better sometimes that the TV ) and he was quite reasonable for once........
I've been both sides of the camp - in my youth, early 20's I became a member of a union, and tried to moderate some of the extremists, and then ended up being a manager ! - ho hum.
I think both sides are equally responsible for the mess this country got into in the 70's / 80's
i think you will find most if not all railways, airlines have staff in unions. Drivers of trains and airline pilots very much so.
Community Veteran

Actually Bob Crowe was on the radio news ( better sometimes that the TV ) and he was quite reasonable for once........

Radio news is a LOT better than the namby-pampy TV, who seem to be completely incapable of interviewing a strong personality.
Bob Crowe was recently interviewed on LBC separately by James O'Brien and James Wales recently during the Tube strikes.Both of whom refused to back down during interviews, had Bob Crowe reduced to repeating union dogma, rather than answering questions.

Community Veteran

Totally agree, especially LBC which I think is a great station.  I particularly like Nick Ferrari in the morning - even been on his show a few times Smiley
Now that LBC is available on Sky, internet and digital it reaches a much larger area than just London so it attracts a bigger audience. Far better than I've heard anywhere else on the dial.