cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a surprise!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What a surprise!

My motor insurance renewal advice arrived today (I'm not thinking of changing company) Included in the pack was a favoured customer "flyer" for breakdown cover, at a better level of service than I already have with the AA for £43, a quick call to the AA found that at renewal next month the cost will rise to £103, so I very politely asked them to cancel the current direct debit as I will not be renewing it next time.
After a couple of minutes of trying to talk me out of canceling they finally asked with whom I was going to and how much, then surprise surprise I was offered the same level of service I had been offered by the new company with £50 off, what they didn't mention was that was for one year only then it would revert to the full premium, the new company is a continuous price.
The AA pointed out that other companies often only provide a get you to a safe position service, I responded by pointing out at the last two occasions I have needed the AA thats all they have done as well, that rather flummoxed them.
Not surprisingly I declined the AA's kind offer.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
firefly2
Grafter

Re: What a surprise!

please , please tell me who the ins companyy  is... would love  to have recovery thrown in..
need save all i can get....  have  hefty bill coming up as my boiler has packed up. Roll eyes
hope that you enjoyed your break ..
Community Veteran

be aware that many of the very cheap 'breakdown insurance' companies work so that when you breakdown they arrange for somebody to get you started, fixed, towed to garage or whatever. You then settle the bill with all the 3rd parties involved, and claim the money back.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quote from: firefly2
please , please tell me who the ins companyy  is

Frizzells
and the breakdown company is Britannia

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
firefly2
Grafter

@  godsell4
thanks for warning.
@ oldjim
thank you too for info.. am with churchill at mo but have to pay for the recovery service. will keep your insurance on hold
hopefully won't need it .. Huh
jmd
Grafter

Petlew - Brittania use various local recovery services when you break down so the level of "service"you get across country can vary!  I used to be with them until I got the Yaris 20 mths ago.  My previous Punto broke down a couple of times - once on A1 and then the recovery company took hours to arrive and then on M60 and a Green Flag man arrived via Brittania within 30 mins!  and he was a much more helpful and happier chap than the other one who moaned about taking me accross country.
Community Veteran

Thank you for the warning Josie, I also used to be with Britannia a number of years ago as a paying member and, they were always Ok for me on the rare occasions I had to call them out. The AA is not above using third party assistance either, my last breakdown was covered by a local recovery rather than the AA I called, to be honest, I've not had a great number of call outs anyway, by far the worst in my limited experience has been the RAC, who kept us waiting for over two hours on an easily accessible not very busy very cold late evening once, I have a suspicion that because I rung in again to get an arrival time my call was deliberately moved to the bottom of the pile.
Never tried Green Flag. I think all of them can vary between awful and absolutely brilliant, just the luck of the draw, they can all have their off days like everybody else...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am with Zurich and they throw in free Green Flag, only used it once, bad prang near Heathrow, recovered the car, took me home, then the car to the Repairer in Colchester, no complaint, got to the scene just after the Police!