cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a stupid country we live in!!

thisoldman
Grafter

What a stupid country we live in!!

Donkeys are to be banned from most uk beaches under new health and safety legislation ( in case they poo or trample on you)

KFC removes bacon from their menus so as not to upset muslims
Taxi drivers in north east  have to adopt new dress code from ist April
Local village running a course on introduction to anxiety behaviours at cost of 36£ for 6 week course. Some wag or genius  scrawled under the notice      cheaper to join aol
Pensioners to get  5£ increase but when you subtract increase in petrol fags booze food council tax we will be hundres of pounds a year worse off.
ba  firemen  brit gas railworkers council staff all threaten stikes soon. Who's next?

Why dont plusnet staff go on strike and then we would get peace from these depresing rants and raves Wink

over the moon to see that jamesh    has rejoined the faithfull.
As the americans say but dont mean it    "have a nice day all."

26 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: What a stupid country we live in!!

not banned but not coming back to Clacton
http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/5067278.Donkeys_won___t_be_returning_to_resort___s_beach/#
DONKEY rides will not be on offer at Clacton this summer.
The traditional seaside attraction returned to the resort last Easter after a 20-year gap.
But the donkey business ended up making a loss.
Owner Jayne Johns says her donkeys were too far away from other tourist attractions to pull in the crowds.
Tendring Council gave the green light for the £2-a-go rides to take place on Martello Beach, a mile from the town centre.
Mrs Johns said: “Unless they can offer me a pitch by the pier, it’s not worth my while.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Taxi drivers in north east  have to adopt new dress code from ist April

We have several taxi firms "operating" in the Portsmouth area, one firm local to me, have adopted a "uniform" consisting of black trousers, black jumper, with epaulettes with the taxi name on them, and white shirts.... not sure but I think black ties are "optional"....
they look very smart, and although I do not use taxi`s, I would certainly want someone dressed smartly to turn up and drive me, rather than some other sloppily dressed slob, wearing old faded, ill fitting secondhand jeans or tracksuit bottoms with a shirt hanging out....
thisoldman
Grafter

Grin        it seems clear that shutter would like to feel like royalty.Hope your cab driver addresses you as sir etc etc  holds your hand  wipes your
dribbles.lol          My nhs provide a free car to get to hospital as its 60 miles away but driver smokes and the car stinks and he looks like al capone.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
My nhs provide a free car to get to hospital as its 60 miles away but driver smokes and the car stinks

That is illegal if he ever smokes in the car (even without passengers at the time).
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

While we're on the subject -
A move stopping Northamptonshire police riding bicycles on patrol until they have a 10-hour lesson has been called health and safety "gone too far".
Officers in the Parklands area of Northampton have been issued mountain bikes by the force.
But they cannot ride them until the summer when they will have completed a 10-hour training course.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/8582914.stm
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Yes, this is where we've got to with the nanny state.  Sad Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
My nhs provide a free car to get to hospital as its 60 miles away but driver smokes and the car stinks

That is illegal if he ever smokes in the car (even without passengers at the time).

HPSauce is right.  Have you thought of reporting him or asking for a non-smoking driver and car?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
Taxi drivers in north east  have to adopt new dress code from ist April

We have several taxi firms "operating" in the Portsmouth area, one firm local to me, have adopted a "uniform" consisting of black trousers, black jumper, with epaulettes with the taxi name on them, and white shirts.... not sure but I think black ties are "optional"....
they look very smart, and although I do not use taxi`s, I would certainly want someone dressed smartly to turn up and drive me, rather than some other sloppily dressed slob, wearing old faded, ill fitting secondhand jeans or tracksuit bottoms with a shirt hanging out....

Boro Cars from Middlesbrough and Stockton-on-Tees drivers have the opshon of these uniforms if thay want one thay have to pay approximately £30 for black jacket, £20 for jumper, £25 for trousers, £15 for shirt, £5 for tie and £5 for socks.
[Edit]
My nhs provide a free car to get to hospital as its 60 miles away but driver smokes and the car stinks and he looks like al capone.

It is now against the law to smoke in the cab, if he smokes he must exit the vehicle or he is breaking the law, it does not matter if he has a passenger in the cab with him, he must not smoke in the cab end of.
And that gos for all work vehicles, plus if you use your vehicle to give a colleague a lift to work you must not smoke in the vehicle or you are breaking the law.
craigyoung
Grafter

Apparently not.  The rules state "Employees who get a company car for their sole use are allowed to smoke while giving a non-smoking colleague a lift to work, because the journey will count as private use. "  So private cars would also be exempt, I'd assume.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Grin        it seems clear that shutter would like to feel like royalty.Hope your cab driver addresses you as sir etc etc  holds your hand  wipes your
dribbles.lol          My nhs provide a free car to get to hospital as its 60 miles away but driver smokes and the car stinks and he looks like al capone.

Yes, I would like to feel like royalty, when they charge such high prices per mile.....!  
as for the other points.... I have watched them at supermarkets collecting and depositing customers, and they are certainly treated like royalty.... shopping bags loaded carefully into the boot,  small children helped into seat belts, etc.etc.....(and for disabled people) trolley returned to supermarket parking area, and for those who need help to set up the wheelchair, or exit the taxi, they are only too willing to help and assist.... .
Oh and they do not smoke in their cars either...
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: ZX81
Apparently not.  The rules state "Employees who get a company car for their sole use are allowed to smoke while giving a non-smoking colleague a lift to work, because the journey will count as private use. "  So private cars would also be exempt, I'd assume.

Sorry you are wrong.
craigyoung
Grafter

http://www.castleleasing.co.uk/mailing/SmokingBaninWorkVehicles.pdf

Not according to the reports of the law that I've seen, eg the one above.  Doubtless it will go that way eventually though.
itsme
Grafter

Be interesting if they do as at the moment the HMRC does not allow expense claims for travelling to and from work as it's classed as private. If the law on smoking change so these journeys are classed as work then you should be able to claim expenses.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@ZX8, Sorry you are wrong see:
http://www.pinsentmasons.com/media/134379445.pdf