cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a nice idea.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What a nice idea.....

Finland`s mother-to-be, gets a box of "goodies" from the government.....
( and here I am posting the linky,.... cos it is nice to read it... in these days of gloom and doom )....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: What a nice idea.....

Seems like a good idea to me. Why can't we do that here?
Oh.. i forgot.. everyone at the top of our country is too busy trying to get rich by taking from us not giving..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'm all for that as it seems a good deal for the tax payers.
Give new Mum's a cardboard tomato box to put the baby in.
Only for the first two, After that it's egg cartons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: billnotben
After that it's egg cartons.

Given some of the breeders out there, I'd say forget the egg cartons, give 'em free hysterectomies... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: 7up

Seems like a good idea to me. Why can't we do that here?

ask billnotben, & twocvbloke...... seems they don`t think it is a nice idea at all.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
ask billnotben, & twocvbloke...... seems they don`t think it is a nice idea at all.....

Only for the first two, overpopulation dictates that any more is a waste, cos there's too many kids in school as it is today so education is getting spread as thinly as the paint on a chinese car and ain't sticking resulting in a nation of people that are thick as pig droppings thus leaving us without enough intelligence to be the once industrious nation as we once were... Cool
Community Veteran

I do think it's a good idea.
Steering towards common sense basics are just what some Mum's need.
Far too much money can be spent by already hard up Mum's on fancy baby items which will only  be good for a few months at most.

Fixes: 123

In principal a good idea but I doubt it will prevent many new mothers from spending money they possibly don't really have to 'keep up with the Jones's'.
The Fins are a different culture and it's been part of their life for 75 years. I can see, in the UK, it being discarded or sold because it doesn't have any of the latest designer labels.
It was also used as a method to get the expectant mothers to visit their doctor but we already have good prenatal care.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

What a nice idea. Not seen that before. Thanks for posting Shutter Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Far too much money can be spent by already hard up Mum's on fancy baby items which will only  be good for a few months at most.

I agree. My neighbours up the road are expecting a baby in June. She's not worked for years but since finding out she's pregnant she has gone and got a job at a local factory. Why? So she can afford a Mamas and Papas baby travel system (around £700). This is a pushchair, car chair and moses basket thing all in one. You can lift out the car seat from the car and click it straight into the pram frame without disturbing the baby.
The stupid thing is that it will soon out grow it and not need it  Crazy She's also said that she's only working until the baby is born and then she's giving up to look after the baby. Her fella has a kid with another woman that he's still paying maintenance for and he openly admits it's a struggle and some months before he met his current partner, he couldn't even afford a loaf of bread. So now he's going to be not only struggling to support himself and his current lad but also his new missus and a baby too.
A £700 travel system with a car seat... and they don't even have a useable car  Roll eyes
£700! A quick look on ebay throws up loads of them going for less than £50 second hand and steam cleaners are peanuts these days. £700 for something that will have such a short lifespan is ridiculous. Thats money that could go towards that childs first school uniform etc.
I think some people really need to stop and think.. if they're short of cash they need to stop and think how they can make their money go as far as possible but these days that logic seems to be unrespectable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We've got three grandkids and another on the way  Cheesy
It's one of the great pleasures of the women in our family an their friends to bring out all the stored baby clothes and equipment saved for passing on. They grow out of things so quickly hence no wear. There seems to be no stigma over them being second hand and a lot of mutual pleasure.  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra