Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a great Idea, Wireless Broadband from your local Church Tower

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

What a great Idea, Wireless Broadband from your local Church Tower

What a great Idea, Wireless Broadband from your local Church Tower.

Churches to Help Spread Wireless Broadband into Rural England

Churches tend to be one of the highest structures in rural communities and as such their towers (or spires) can be very useful when adopted to act as a distribution point for a local Fixed Wireless Access (FWA)

Following an agreement between the Church of England and the government, churches in internet black spots are set to boost broadband, mobile and wifi connectivity for local communities.

They are cherished landmarks of the English countryside: church spires soaring heavenwards. Often visible for miles around, and many dating from medieval times, they now have a new purpose – to facilitate virtual communication in the internet age.

The idea of using churches in this way is of course nothing new and some ISPs, such as WiSpire in Norfolk (they’ve partnered with the Dioceses of Norwich), have been doing it for a long time.

5 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: What a great Idea, Wireless Broadband from your local Church Tower

great idea for rural areas Thumbs Up

https://news.sky.com/story/how-church-steeples-boost-wifi-connectivity-in-rural-communities-11255800

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If you're going to cut and paste at least have the decency to link to the article you took it from

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/churches-help-spread-wireless-broadband-rural-england....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

An excellent idea.

There are many churches now in a disused state too - many being bought by a charity called friends of disused churches if memory serves. Seems to me that too many of them have gone to waste for too long. We really should be making better use of them - if not for religious purposes then community ones.

Hackspace is one thing that immediately springs to mind. In the USA it's a big cult but over here our local hackspace has nowhere for techy geeks to meet up, our email group dropped dead around 3 years ago. With Infinitys post bringing up this idea I might approach our local (now also defunct) church and see if we can make use of some space there - a few years ago they were apparently allowing it to be used for raves!!!

There is a church remain near me, a tower is all that is left of the church which collapsed after being hit by a bomb in the war. I've often felt it a shame that the tower stands there disused but other than a property conversion I was never able to think of a useful purpose that it could be used for. Unfortunately it is a tower that has no spiral staircase which adds further complexity to its usefulness.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

They could do Free internet, instead of ads you would have to listen to a sermon for nn free minutes of access ;-)
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

What range would usual with these things? Anyone know? My parish church has a repeater TV trnsmitter and one or more mobile already, so would one more maybe cause problems?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.