cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a fun day

nadger
Rising Star

What a fun day

Got a leaky radiator in one of the bedrooms so we have to replace it today with help from a friend.
Got feeling that draining down won't be easy as drain cocks possibly blocked.
Had new 800x600 double rad delivered a couple of days ago.
Felt sorry for Parcelforce lady doing delivery when she knocked on door and asked if anyone was feeling strong - unfortunately she got a negative response.
After a radical cystectomy and an EVAR I'm not into lifting any more  Cry
6 REPLIES
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: What a fun day

Shocked  aww  ya poor wee bairn ill gladly add you to my plusnet prayer request database
Fixes: 47

Why drain down for one rad Nadger.
If you turn off both valves for the rad, loosen the unions with a cloth under each and ease the rad off it's brackets you can lower it down upside down and remove it with little mess.
There needs to be a bit of free movement in the pipework in order to allow the rad to be lifted a little off it's brackets while still connected.
I've usually found drain cocks to be seized and if a drain down is needed I have made an adaptor to fit a rad valve and a length of garden hose.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nadger
Felt sorry for Parcelforce lady doing delivery when she knocked on door and asked if anyone was feeling strong - unfortunately she got a negative response.

Reminds me of the day my engine crane turned up. It's one of those long reach ones with 6 castors - rated to lift 2Ton...
Bloke turned up asking for help saying he could bench press 100Kg down the gym but couldn't shift this big box by himself. They'd also broken their sack truck at the depot and had to go and borrow a heavy duty one! That was just to move the first box of two..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

On the difficult delivery front we had a wooden garden furniture set delivered a while back that was on a rectangular pallet.
It was a big heavy set bought as a present (and hence a bit OTT) - hardwood with a big table and 8 seats and it weighed a LOT!
They had loaded it onto the truck from the side with a fork lift but the driver had just the normal tail lift and a trolley jack.
BUT it was too big to go through the tailgate.......
Got it off eventually by partly unpacking it on the truck.
(The table top alone was so heavy that 2 strong people could barely move it)
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Strat
Why drain down for one rad Nadger.

Wanted to try and clean the system out - getting very gunged up with our hard water.
If you turn off both valves for the rad, loosen the unions with a cloth under each and ease the rad off it's brackets you can lower it down upside down and remove it with little mess.

That's how we removed it without a drop spilt  Cheesy
I've usually found drain cocks to be seized and if a drain down is needed I have made an adaptor to fit a rad valve and a length of garden hose.

All 3 drain cocks were seized so loosened/tightened a valve connection and did it that way - very slow.
I like your suggestion so will think further about how you've done that.
Denzil
Grafter

I had Argos deliver a new bed a few years back. The lorry that turned up was enormous and wouldn't fit down my road. I had to meet the driver at the bottom of the road and carry all the bits up on the roofrack.