Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a frustrating day...

Denzil
Grafter

What a frustrating day...

...this has been. Sad
A few things have been going wrong with my Suse 10 installation - updates no longer working, I never got Flash player to work, Scribus stopped working and it refused to let me change the IP address of a networked printer after installing a new router, so I thought it was time for a change. I use Ubuntu on a laptop and that works quite nicely (until now but more of that later). However, after reading lots of good stories about PCLinuxOS here I thought I would give that a go.
I spent the entire afternoon trying to get it to work. I got impenetrable error messages when I tried to login as a user. I booted into XP with the thought of some Googling, but XP refused to access the internet at all. I risked logging into PCLinuxOS as root, and after much searching found a solution. Next, despite using KDE it didn't install Kmail, which I need to keep my existing mail. Installing that via the package manager just didn't work. Some repositories couldn't find the required packages, some gave me errors.
At that point I decided if it couldn't get basic stuff like that right it was time to give up. So I installed Ubuntu 8.04 instead. This has been so much easier, and I now have something close to a fully working system, except I think my sound chip may be faulty, because there is no sound.
I wanted to watch the last episode of "Across the Andes" via iPlayer, because I know one of them. The sound doesn't work on the desktop, so I boot up the laptop. That runs for a few minutes and freezes, because the fan seems to have failed and it's overheating.
Now my digital TV box is playing up - it turned itself on earlier. I was watching Ray Mears, left the room and came back to find Fifth Gear on.
Sometimes it seems nothing I own works properly.
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: What a frustrating day...

Sorry to hear about your day Sad
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

part of your problem is that you come from distros that use multiple repos.  pclinuxos uses only one - ibiblio - from which all the others sync.  uncheck all but one repo, reload, and try again.
after installation, fully update - open synaptic, reload, mark all upgrades, apply, apply.  there is a lot, so wait for off peak hours.  once that's done, install the video driver you need for your card from synaptic.  next, open pclinuxos control centre/hardware and set up your monitor, then your graphical server.  follow any instructions given.  after that, you can install any apps you want.
i'm wondering if you have downloaded the spiffy, speedy minime 2008 as you say kmail is not installed?  it comes ready installed with pclinuxos 2007.  visit pclinuxos.com for more help.
as to your router, have you set it up with your username/password to plus.net?
Denzil
Grafter

There was only the ibiblio one checked at first, and it told me it couldn't find some of the packages required. Thinking it was maybe some issue with the server I tried a mirror site, and it gave me some other errors. I tried it several times. There didn't seem to be any problem setting up the hardware.
The logging in issue seemed to be because I have /home on a separate partition, which confused it, even though I told it to mount /home on that partition as part of the install process. I had to do an hour or so of searching to find an answer to the error message.
I downloaded the full 2007 edition, or so it told me. A distribution that claims to be easy to set up and use really shouldn't fall over on doing basic things like logging in and installing an email client. Even if they are fixable I really don't want to spend that much time on it. My PC is a tool, not a plaything.
Anyway, I shall stick with Ubuntu 8.04 for the moment, as it pretty much worked out of the box.
The router is working fine. I can connect to everything with Linux, and normally can connect to everything with XP. Just yesterday it didn't want to know, and I needed to concentrate on getting Linux working rather than fix XP.
Denzil
Grafter

Sorry, I should have said, thankyou for trying, anyway. Smiley