cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a bargain!

N/A

What a bargain!

Sometimes in the evening I take my Cairn Terriers for a walk round a local reservoir. It was constructed in the 1800s and they can't have done such a good job because it leaks.
Anyway, the water authority didn't want it anymore because it was too expensive to operate so they sold it to the local authority for £1. This was in pre-eBay days so I am wondering what they would have got for it nowadays.
It's a wonderful, peaceful place and it gets its fair share of migrating birds in the winter so good for twitchers.
What a bargain and a reminder that the best things in life really are free (or almost)!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: What a bargain!

It may well have cost the local council £1  and appear to be a bargain...... but..... how much of your council tax is now being spent on it to keep it maintained at it`s present level, let alone "improve" the facillities there..... (same sum of money could have been spent on keeping open a care facility, or similar.... so.... if it sounds too good to be true..... it probably is ?
Community Veteran

Great view Poppy.  Thanks for posting.  I've just got back from a nice walk across the fields to Greensted.  Added enjoyment today watching the farmers bringing in the harvest.  Always a nice time of year, and not a penny on the council tax Wink
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/greensted.html
Community Veteran

Yes indeed a lovely watery scene - but I too wonder why the council would buy it and not someone like a wildlife group etc..
I too have been out for a long walk - and the first of the wheat is being harvested today - and I'm sat her back indoors watching the harvester - but they are noisy beasts aren't they - even from a mile away.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you been to this one http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/140792
Community Veteran

You're right about the noise.  The other thing is the cloud of wheat they throw up as they cut.  I passed a field in the week just after having my car washed.  I needn't have bothered as when I got passed the car was covered in wheat dust.  
I think it's a good idea for councils to purchase such things as Poppy's reservoir.  It's nice that they provide leisure pursuits.  We talked about Highlands park in a thread yesterday.  Some local council tax payers of Chelmsford moan about the cost but it's such a lovely place and many would miss it if it wasn't there anymore.
Community Veteran

PP yes we have a lot of very nice old churches in Essex. Not been to this one.  A friend is very interested in Church organs and he said some of the most interesting are in the county.
Community Veteran

Don't get me wrong - it's great these areas are kept for the public - but rather the council I think charitable trusts are a better owner, rather like community woodlands , parks, etc - when the community own, and manage it. People then feel more involved, they go along to working parties, have school educational trips there, have weekend activities for the kids and grown ups etc. I feel these sort of groups do better than the councils, and let's them concentrate on other more important things.
Aha - but living in the country you have to accept the noise, smells, dust and dirt - which is just part of farming. The farmers get really annoyed at the NIMBEYS who move in and then try to create what they think of as a quiet rural village - but is nothing of the sort - just a imaginary postcode dream.  Wink
Luckily around here - we have a good mix - and the farmers welcome most  incomers as they bring fresh ideas - as long as they listen to the long term residents - which we do. ( well the vast majority of us ! )
But not many Norman towered old churches here .
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Black Chapel has a lot of peculiarities, it has a sideways facing pulpit , my photo below, will try and find the correct web site for it, had some correspondence about june 08
It is called a West Gallery, found my correspondents, but the web site I have found mentions it but not much else
N/A

I adore looking at very old churches and the pictures are very interesting - had no knowledge of either of them.
Mal's sentiments about the farm noises resonates. There is one just at the back of my property - we have pigs squealing every morning, cows mooing early morning when they are grazing in the nearest field to us, not to mention some occasional very strong smells plus noise of tractors from time to time.
Don't mind any of it - am just glad to be here and to have a lovely view of the fields.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

found the West Gallery info http://www.westgallerychurches.com/index.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
Anyway, the water authority didn't want it anymore because it was too expensive to operate so they sold it to the local authority for £1. This was in pre-eBay days so I am wondering what they would have got for it nowadays.

Although sounds like a bargain in actual fact the water authority would have donated the land to the local authority. The £1 is to keep the transfer contract legal. From the water authority's perspective they have off-loaded a huge liability. The reservoir will fall under the Reservoirs Act 1975 which ensures that the reservoir is maintained to certain standards.