cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a Racket!!

Community Veteran

What a Racket!!

A new tennis racquet has been designed that will allow  players' shots to be analysed by a computer built into the frame and handle.
Rafael Nadal will be the first player to use the new technology and it may be available at the French Open and Wimbledon this year.
Is this an improvement too far Undecided
Smart Racquet
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: What a Racket!!

Just wondering how they can add the sensors and other equipment inside without altering the weight distribution, etc so affecting the players use  of the racquet ?
Maybe there is too much tech (and money) in sport these days Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wonder if the makers could produce something that would make my bowls go where I want them Smiley
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Just wondering how they can add the sensors and other equipment inside without altering the weight distribution, etc so affecting the players use  of the racquet ?

I assume the sensors will be extremely light.  Many years ago some manufacturers tried a similar but less sophisticated idea but it didn't take off.
randpwar
Grafter

Wonder if the same technology is available for my table tennis bat.....given my standard, probably not worth it  Undecided
Community Veteran

I would have thought there's a far greater public demand for lightweight effective gags.
Community Veteran

Quote from: randpwar
Wonder if the same technology is available for my table tennis bat.....given my standard, probably not worth it  Undecided

To be serious, I can't see why it can't be adapted for other racquet sports.
itsme
Grafter

These have been around for sometime but could not be used in slams because it could be classed as coaching.
Community Veteran

I think this is something different that Babolat have come out with. It has been approved for all play including the Slams AFAIK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: itsme
These have been around for sometime but could not be used in slams because it could be classed as coaching.

I don't see an issue, as long as the data is only recorded and not used during play to alert the players game. This is effectively no different to video recording play then analysing afterwards. 
Formula 1 cars have more computers on than engine.
Community Veteran

Good point DB. As I understand it the info is for use in ongoing training sessions.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I wonder if the makers could produce something that ...

The sensors are very light, but the battery pack weighs 50 Kg.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

50kg?... That would give them something to REALLY  grunt about! Grin
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see if this technology does any good for the players. Babolat only have 2 top ranked players in their camp so it could be a while before results are seen.
It certainly didn't help Nadal today in the final of the Italian Open in Rome . He was beaten by Djokovic 4-6 6-3 6-3. I'm pleased for Djokovic, my favourite player on the mens' circuit.
It's now on to Paris for the French Open. Much as I support Jjokovic I think he's going to have his work cut out to beat Nadal who has made Roland Garros his own over the years.