cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What - You Want More?

Community Veteran

What - You Want More?

The writers of Porridge,  Ian La Frenais and Dick Clement, are thinking of bringing it back to our screens.
The four actors who played the lead roles are all dead so who will they cast?  James Corden or Peter Kay have been suggested for 'Fletch'.
It was a great series and I wonder if a new series will do it credit Undecided
Porridge
3 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: What - You Want More?

Loved Porridge - and other things from Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais like the Likely Lads.  Be interesting to see what scripts they could come up with: didn't they run out of ideas after two series originally?  And the series with Fletch on the outside really didn't work.  I guess they have had 30 years to come up with plot ideas, though.
I'm not sure who could take the place of Ronnie Barker, though: he was something special.  James Corden and Peter Kay appear to have been chosen solely based on body type: I can't really see either of them in the role.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You can't reinvent the wheel, some programs are just too classic to have a revival, hope it doesn't happen.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Fixes: 125

Maybe it could work with completely new characters but, for me, no-one can or should replace Ronnie Barker, Richard Beckinsale, Fulton Mackay and Brian Wilde.
Of course, David Jason could possibly still play Blanco Wink
But what is it with all these remakes, reboots and so on. Are writers these days really short of new ideas or is it simply cheaper and quicker to re-hash the old ones?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still