cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Recent Bargain Did You Get?

Steve
Pro

What Recent Bargain Did You Get?

We all like bargains dont we? I just bought a spare router for £15.49.RRP £64.99 Netgear DGN1000 (wireless N) , Ive already got one( And it did cost me £64.99 from argos) And really like it so thought Id take a punt on Ebay and won myself a spare, All brand new and still in wrapper.
So what bargain have you got yourself lately? Cool
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: What Recent Bargain Did You Get?

My favourite bargain was a good-as-new Nicam stereo television on eBay for £0.01.
At the time I felt a little awkward when collecting it from the seller as the penny purchase price would not have covered the eBay listing costs, he had also insisted on payment by PayPal (instead of cash on collection) so presumably he got stung for transaction charges there too !.  Although for me it would have been a little embarrassing standing on the doorstep handing over a penny in exchange for this fantastic TV !
I have since bought other eBay TVs for 99p, but I will never be able to beat that 1p bargain !!!  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Lidl are playing silly bums this week, Last Thursday specials - A dry powder fire extinguisher £6.99 a good price
Walking out of store - this weeks specials broadsheet  - Thursday 22nd  same fire extinguisher  quote original price £6.35 reduced to £4.99 /quote
took the £6.99 one back to till and got my money back, showed both adverts to Manager who said in a Victor Meldrum voice "I dont Believe it"
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Steve
So what bargain have you got yourself lately? Cool

Early Retirement (Redundancy) and they're paying me to go Cool Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Strat - your bargain can mean that you can enjoy life now!!  all the freedom you will have to get out and about but probably you will sit at home twanging the guitar!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the two Lidl offers
I also took Voluntary Early Redundancy  - had a rather large lump sum  put it into Tax Free Share scheme, still not spent it all 15 years later
Community Veteran

(Of course, PN is a bargain at any price.  Wink)
SWMBO recently bought a cardigan. The customer in front was returning something for a refund and the cardigan got processed as a refund too. A couple of weeks later I spotted this on the card statement and, being compulsively honest, SWMBO took the receipt back. The store said they would never have noticed and thanked her with vouchers to half the purchase price. So, honesty does pay - though possibly not quite as well as dishonesty.
Gabe
Steve
Pro

A TV for 1P!! Now that's what I call " cheap as chips" Wink
Mand
Grafter

Superdry trainers for 4p including next day delivery Cheesy
johpal
Grafter

EBay: BT Business Hub (2-wire router) 1p + pp.  Wink
Steve
Pro

I think Im looking for bargains In the wrong places Shocked
scootie
Grafter

this is not no bargin.
bought some birthday banners for my 3 year olds birthday that was on Saturday and was assured by the ebay seller that they would be with us before Saturday, sat came and went no banners.
today the post man dropped a postage not paid in full notice in the letter box quoting we need to pay £1.10 and £1 of it being a post office charge.
needless to say we will be forcing the seller to refund this item as we have no need for it now unless we keep it for 3 years time when are youngest turns 3
some bargains on ebay are just not worth the hassle when you can head to the markets for a fair priced similar item
the best item i have sold on ebay was a washing machine a company left with us even after they had dropped back are repaired one, cash on collection and they go insane on the bid wars for washing machines. made 110 quid on a old battered loan washing machine. offered to help the lady move the thing but she was built like giant haystacks and lifted it out on her own
Steve
Pro

Yeah The people that sell on Ebay are the Pitts a lot of the time, Keep telling myself I wont shop there again!!
johpal
Grafter

Agreed, EBay can be dodgy. So far, I've only ever been caught out once, over a deal on a mobile phone for my daughter. You could receive calls, but if you made a call, the other person couldn't hear you; duff microphone, binned it, lesson learnt!
If possible, research the typical price of what you want. I've seen bidders so caught up in an "I must have it" frenzy, they could have bought it at half the price, elsewhere on line. Look out too for returns policies; if there are none, steer clear!
There are tools to help. ALWAYS look at feedback and ratings; PayPal isn't cheap, but it does offer protection if things go wrong. Finally, there is a dispute resolution centre (no satisfaction guaranteed, of course).
Community Veteran

Quote from: johpal
Finally, there is a dispute resolution centre (no satisfaction guaranteed, of course).

Sadly, that is so true.
Generally I've had reasonable success buying & selling on eBay. Sometimes things have gone a bit wrong, but usually it's been resolved with the other party. Except for one dodgy seller in the USA......
The only time I used the PayPal resolution (I was the buyer) it was a waste of time, mainly because the seller was NOT in the UK. They had advertised themselves as UK-based but shipped wrong/faulty goods from the USA and PayPal insisted that I return them there AND provide proof of posting. The original shipment was NOT signed for and I foolishly (honestly) acknowledged receipt before checking the goods thoroughly.
I did get some money back but had to pay for an expensive tracked delivery to the USA so had a significant net loss, over 50% of what I paid. Grump!
So I now check & recheck that the seller is where they say they are and generally only buy "trade" stuff that is covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. Or is so cheap it doesn't matter.