cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is plus Net Going to do, to protect Customers From Government Spying On Us.

Tinman19672000

What Is plus Net Going to do, to protect Customers From Government Spying On Us.

What Is plusNet Going to do, to protect Customers From Government Spying On Us.! :
The U.K Government now have powers to spy on every one on line.!. This can not be right and I for one , am not happy. What is plus net going to do, to protect our on line privacy from the police/DWP/MI5 ect spying on all of us.?? Sad
I for one will be looking at whether it is worth having PlusNet , internet and even worth living here in the u.k now....I fined this spying,  very worrying and I don't like it one bit. I got PlusNet of the basses of privacy, service & access to the internet..... Not to be spied on 24/7
Is this (1984) Come true!!
39 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: What Is plus Net Going to do, to protect Customers From Government Spying On Us.

The answer is "Nothing", because all internet activity will be monitored regardless, and because "they know best", the government will not care about peoples' objections, that's what happens when people vote for the wrong parties... Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: What Is plus Net Going to do, to protect Customers From Government Spying On Us.

6. How do we use your personal information?
We'll use your personal information:
•To provide the services you've requested;
•To charge for the calls made from your phone line and for the other services you take from us, such as broadband.
•To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations in connection with the provision of those services.
•To check or confirm your identity if you call us, particularly about changes to your service or requests for billing information.
•To carry out market research and analysis on our products and services and future developments. When we do this we'll make sure that you can't be identified. We may give the information, again making sure that you can't be identified, to certain other people or organisations.
]To provide you with personalised services, including but not limited to viewing recommendations and tailored advertising.
•To test our software services in pre-production environments.
We'll use your contact information:
•To notify you about changes to our services. For example to tell you that we have upgraded the service on your line, or to tell you when new technologies (such as fibre optic broadband) are available in your area.
•To tell you about any of our products or services which we feel may interest you, unless you tell us not to. You can opt out of receiving marketing material from us by clicking here.
from here http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/privacy.shtml
they already record and spy on you which you redily agreed to as part of taking out the service!
the new law literally enforces that they make this data available when requested to law enforcement or security services by virtue of a warrant for said information, it gets rid of the right of internet companies to make legal arguments about privacy rights to prevent timely handing over of this information and sets a time limit by which point they must purge the data about you from their systems, currently they can retain it for up to 6 years if they so wish (most probably get rid of it after a month)
this can only be a good thing for longer term privacy particularly as it will remove the rights of companies like admt from tracking your electronic footprint, at least on uk based websites !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

At least they are telling you they are going to do this, no difference to what they have been doing for years but denying they were doing it.
David_W
Rising Star

Option 1 : Use a VPN, PN shouldn't be able to view the end point to store for .gov.uk to .view
I'm not sure if I'm wary of this new law or not.  I'm a normal, male, single.... adult... so I may have visited websites that I wouldn't want my mother to know about (yes, care homes... honest officer), I may have also visited several websites which are in relation to health issues (but not health issues arising from being a normal, male, single... adult) so I would be uncomfortable with that personal information being in the hands of other people.
I guess the issue is that .gov.uk believe the internet is the same as a phone line, they can get a warrant to see who you called, but the odds of you calling a premium rate number is pretty low, and a few years ago the vast majority of numbers called were 0845 and then the PN Friaco number, they could tell I was using the internet but not what I was doing on the internet (and on a 56k modem, it wasn't all that much), now the information is vast, a huge array of websites one can visit catering to every need.
On the other hand, Facebook will routinely collect this information, Google will too, and it won't stop at "which page did you visit?".  Case in point, day before yesterday I went shopping for a present for my niece, I went to very.co.uk and ordered her a lovely nightgown.  Afterwards I went to eurogamer.net to look at games, an advert popped up, for very.co.uk, advertising nightgowns.  The advertising provider knew I had been to very, knew what I had been shopping for and targeted me with very specific adverts.  Every time you see a google advert, they are tracking you, every time you see a Facebook like button, or a Facebook comments bar, that is Facebook tracking you, profiling you, and if you use Facebook it'll be linked to your name, location, family, friends.
When you look at what the government want to obtain in the process of legal proceedings (URL up to the first / ) and compare it to the information you send to the advertising companies (where you went, what you looked at, what you purchased, when you purchased it, which site you went to afterwards, what sort of sites you prefer to visit, how long you spend on these sites, did you post a comment, how many pages on that site did you view, do you tend to view lots of pages on websites with this theme etc..), what the .gov.uk want is really, very, very.co.uk tame.
Community Veteran

Sign the petition to cause this to be debated in parliament
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111448
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
nadger
Rising Star

Government seeing what sites I visit doesn't bother me in the slightest  Smiley
I would object it it puts up my bill.
Community Veteran

dinna fash yersels. they dinna hav the staff to sift it all.
Community Veteran

Under the proposed legislation the ISP will not be allowed to tell you they are monitoring. Most VPN's have already been "cracked" by the security services.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

does that mean they will have to  remove the clauses that tell you about the fact they do it for their own purposes and those of law enforcement from the tos and policy statements then ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I suspect this is only of merit if you are suspected of being involved in suspect activity. I don't think HMG gives two hoots if you have been looking at 'nursing homes' but I would imaging they would take great interest in you if you wanted to know how to build a dirty bomb or something equally horrible. No one is going to be sitting down looking at these log to see what and where you go every time you log on, but I think there may be some sort of bot that searched the records looking for key words and ip addresses (of known iffy sites).
Having said that, there may not even be a bot, and the records may only ever be used should you ever pop up on the police radar. I've got no intention of losing any sleep over this, if it makes the world a better and safer place by preventing crime and saving lives then why not.
@nanotm, that's already covered in your post below:
•To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations in connection with the provision of those services.
Community Veteran

One thing pops into my head, who watches the watchers? Huh
Actually, best avoid that one before people start talking about the illuminati and the lizard people.............. Shocked
nanotm
Pro

one thing does rear its head in all this though, I like many others regularly purchase items through websites based in the uk that are then shipped from places like china and those items are often received with a less than honest price estimation on the customs label or indeed contain the wording "professional sample" so that the shipper may avoid taxes which would otherwise be due, this would fall under the heading of "criminal activity" and could hurt otherwise innocent individuals such as myself as we are not complicit in the crime of avoiding duties through use of fraudulent shipping labels.
personally I wouldn't have any problem paying import tax on the odd few items and indeed before the regulations changed and things came properly labelled I regularly did pay it at the local post office but there is scope that future administrations would missuse this act for such purposes, particularly a new labour one, the last one was so hell bent on creating a police state it paid BT billions of pounds to create the D.P.I system (the search bot that scans internet traffic for key words and pings alerts in the spying computers for real people to investigate maters) over a 6 year period, a system that's proven wholly inadequate for the purposes it was designed to do (but perfect for personalised advertising revenue generation for BT and other isp's to use).
I don't care one way or the other about them monitoring my or anyone else's internet usage, its no different to the cctv monitoring my physical movements through the country but I would object to facing criminal convictions for the actions of some vendor using an overseas warehouse to flout taxation because I being the consumer was an easy target, even if the current legislation proposals are quite specific in their wording excluding such matters given the history of the last labour government and its constant changing of regulations (which had zero parliamentary scrutiny) to provide such creep in powers for easy wins ....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

When something arrives in the UK that is incorrectly labeled don't customs issue a demand for payment of import tax, and if you don't pay it you don't get it. I am sure this has happened to a friend of mine, when the post man arrived he was given a ticket to pay the excess at the PO who then stamped the card, he then had to arrange a delivery of the item showing the post man the card before he handed it over.
You are not the one committing a crime here as you did not fill out the declaration. The only way they could prosecute you would be if they had evidence of you asking the supplier to falsify the declaration, but if you do that then that's your fault.

Community Veteran

Indeed, in a western-government country, if the sender fills out a customs declaration in a fraudulent manner, then they can be prosecuted by their government, but, when it comes to china, even though we're all told to stop buying cheap goods from there as it "may be dangerous" (and, boy, some of the stuff I've seen from there, it's blummin' lethal!!), if they stopped the items for taxation and want to prosecute the sender, ain't going to happen as the china post system is subsidised (heavily!!) by their government, so any prosecution will be met with a "Nope, no fraud here, go away" wall of ignorance...