cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I ate for dinner last night.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: What I ate for dinner last night.

You see, to me that above menu is heaven.
I don't *need* to cook on a budget and I make sure I use decent ingredients but as we don't generally go out much and our main vices are a good night in with a film and food then its worth spending that little extra.
The wife and stepson are very fussy eaters and the wife will only eat chicken (and rarely pork loin) so I have to be inventive. I might write a book - 101 things to do with chicken !
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roast Chicken in a Roasting Bag, with all the trimmings, twice a week.
I was a bit sceptical at first, but after taking two days to thoroughly degrease and clean Oven interior, shelves & lights, roasting tins, etc... I gave them a try.
Over a year now, not a spot of grease anywhere in the oven, it is still spotless.
And yes, the Roast Chicken does brown up nicely.
I sprinkle Mixed Herbs over the breast, and legs before sealing bag, then cutting small holes, as specified, in the bag.
Placed on thick foil, in a roasting tin, spotless after use. No leakage from bags, until cut open, then only a little bit.

90 minutes, fan oven at 175ºC.
Chicken comes out brown, tasty, crispy skin, and moist.
I bulk buy the roasting bags from ebay, 10p each, will take a 1.55kg Chicken.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hmm you've got me wondering if the roasting bag I have in the cupboard will take the chicken I've bought for sunday now. I use 2 or 3 a week for the wifes chicken breasts as it keeps them nice and moist but never thought of whacking a full chicken in there. I don't normally make the slits in as I like to live dangerously Wink
Highlighted
Fixes: 458

Quote from: picbits
For those who want to make their own curries and side dishes, there are some great recipes on here :
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/

Having been married for 35 years to a lovely Indian lady (sadly no longer with us) I shouldn't need the link......but I've bookmarked it Embarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear of your loss Strat (I've probably said that before and I'll probably say it again - my memory is terrible) - I always look at your profile picture and see a certain sadness there. I've been with my current wife for 12 years now and we've been married for 5 years (on Thursday according to the calendar  Grin ). My wife wouldn't have a clue on how to cook what I make though.
I've left some of my favourite recipes in the cupboard scribbled on the back of envelopes in case something should happen to me Sad
My last neighbours were Indians who were great people but couldn't talk to each other quietly, they were always shouting. One Christmas, they knocked on the door and tried to give me a turkey. The guys work had wound him up saying it was British tradition to give all the neighbours turkeys  Grin I caught up with one of them at a bakery where she worked having not seen them for 6 years and she ran up, gave me a hug and told me how much they missed me as the new neighbour was a miserable so and so  Grin
They also dried out all their poppadoms (or something) in the back garden (which they had paved over for the purpose) - it was quite fascinating watching them lay the food out to dry in the sun.
My current neighbours are also Indian but a lot quieter - the aromas that waft over have me running for the cooker to get my weekly fix of curry.
Highlighted
Fixes: 458

She passed away in 2006 so it's much easier now especially with the kids and grand-kids.
Unlike what some people thought we didn't have curry every evening, more like once or twice a week and no recipes were to be seen.
She did try to teach me one of her personal curries but due to the fact that she weighed none of the ingredients and her hands were a lot smaller than mine it wasn't a great success.
Her Samosas were to die for and when she made Chevro (Bombay Mix) which took a couple of days, I wouldn't leave it alone.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Similar situation here, the only thing I really weigh and measure are the ingredients when I'm making bread as the smallest of variance can make a big difference.
Everything else just gets chucked in bowls until it looks "about right" - it annoys the wife because my Yorkshire puds are always perfect.