cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Are Your Thoughts on eBay?

zedingrove
Grafter

What Are Your Thoughts on eBay?

Finally, after 5 years have managed to create an account with eBay!
Back in the days it was Yahoo that had the online auction market, but then along came eBay. I was one of the first of many to join and so began a fruitful partnership.
Then as almost now computers were the dominant markets, but back then one could buy fakes, most of all was the Rolex crowd which dominated, Rolex boxes, Rolex tags, Rolex papers even buy these green stickers which apparently show a Rolex as being real........... Cheesy
I made £1,000's back then, till I got a life time ban  Back then if you received 5 negative feedback's simultaneously then you get a ban, I got 15 that's right  15 Thing is back then was not able to defend your self. All I did was.... I had bought a joblot of toy cars from a boot sale some 100+ was going to put them all on in one lot, but found in amongst the cars were old Dinky in fact one car made by dinky in the condition it was in I got £50.
So imagine this, I list all these cars in some 20 auctions along with loads of other listings, come the day to posting them 15 boxes all with the incorrect addresses, I got in such a muddle that....Well mistakes happen! Think had it not been for the US and Canadian orders might of been alright. But here's the coo at great expense to me I resolved the problem. But eBay just saw 15 negatives.
So now am buying as if Christmas was round the corner (come to think of it there are only 188 days left till Christmas).
Crazy 
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: What Are Your Thoughts on eBay?

Don't often use ebay, but bought a box of "ally shrimp" recently, wish I'd bought more!, well made, good price, prompt delivery.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Fake rolexs and making £1000's in one paragraph  Roll eyes
I worked with a bloke a few years back who had been to Thailand.. came back with a large number of fake Rolex's and was trying to ebay them all. He even advertised one of them in front of me on the office computer  Shocked He honestly saw nothing wrong with what he was doing - I couldn't believe it and he was more than open to everyone about it - including staff in another company that we worked with.
Needless to say ebay didn't let him last longer than 18 hours before banning him. Nice enough bloke but I was utterly shocked when he revealed he was trying to scam people into buying fakes. It really changed my opinion of him.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's good that e-bay crack down on this type of thing which is clearly illegal.
I Can't see the difference between someone copying DVD's and selling them on market stall for a few pounds to someone who buys anything fake and passes it off as the real thing.
It's one thing to buy a fake watch abroad for your own use or make a single copy of a DVD or CD  which you already own as a backup if the original gets damaged but it's a totally different thing to do it for any other reason, many people would even agree this is also wrong although I suspect a number of people do it.
Community Veteran

ebay's rules and regulations are remarkably fluid and depend entirely on who is selling. As a result there is very little consistency there. Contacting their so called help often involves continuously going round in circles.
And they still haven't gotten on top of the daily fake iPhone sales on taken over TRS (trusted seller) accounts.
All they seem to concentrate on is in making more and more money by raising fees on a very regular basis and putting more and more ads on each paid for auction page. Some of which are blatant scams in themselves.
Their fees are now generally in line with bricks and mortar auction houses where at least everything gets done for you. With ebay, well as they put it, they are just a "venue".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Totally agree.
They should be fully accountable under the laws of the country the transaction takes place in.
One possible answer is to use Paypal, if you query a transaction within 45 days  such as goods not arriving, counterfeit items, etc then the sellers account is blocked until the problem is sorted out and your money is returned.
I Was sent a counterfeit Sat nav disk and within a week my money was refunded by Paypal.
I am not sure of the legal situation but if e-bay are informed of someone selling fake goods and take no action then they must be accountable in some way as they are taking a fee otherwise you are into the same situation as some of those sites who don't hold software but connect people who wish to share it, which I understand is illegal ?