cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wet & Windy Weekend expected, no Watts though...

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wet & Windy Weekend expected, no Watts though...

Britain is braced for a weekend of 60mph winds as heavy rains and thunderstorms hit the country and threaten to make this August the wettest ever

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7340201/Heavy-rain-thunderstorms-cause-hazardous-conditions...

Major power failures were reported across large parts of the UK this afternoon, with traffic lights, airports and trains affected.

Nearly a million customers faced blackouts after what the National Grid said were issues with two generators, which are now resolved.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/09/airports-traffic-lights-hit-major-power-cut-across-uk-10547550/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49300025

Fart.jpg

No, not that kind of Wind !!

That's just being facetious !

BBC Weather

@bbcweather

Please note the forecast wind gusts for tomorrow. 50-60mph gusts inland in some areas and this is very unusual for the time of year. You might need to find a plan B if you've got any outdoor plans or events. Marquees / gazebos / tents won't like this...

💨

🍃

⛺️
8 REPLIES 8
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Wet & Windy Weekend expected, no Watts though...

National grid - this asks the question how susceptible is the Country to a single point of failure ?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Blowing well in west Wales but with a surpising amount of warm sunshine. 

No power cuts here or any that I know of in the area but many parts of the UK are obviously affected.

Fingers crossed. Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Champnet 

Not a single point of failure, it was caused by the unplanned loss of two large generators in different places at more or less the same time, and also two wind turbine units. Happened within 30 seconds. The system then saw rapidly falling frequency which caused automatic load shedding to protect the grid as a whole, otherwise it would all have collapsed. All power supplies have now been restored. Sheer chance that these things happened so closely together.

EBisQerW4AASNoo.png

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Thanks @nozzer  I make that 4 coincidental failures within 30 secs.

Apologies, I can’t help wearing my IT disaster recovery hat even though now retired ....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a traditional plug-in landline phone during a power cut is a good backup as long as nothing has happened to bring the phone network down, too.

This is because your telephone line takes its power from the local telephone exchange, which has back-up power available.

Less so a mobile phone, the local mobile phone mast may have lost power too.

Or as a last resort...

50839278-tin-cans-telephone-isolated-on-white-background-3d.jpg

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

Delhi has entirely shut down the Internet, landline and mobile networks in the India-controlled part of the Himalayan region of Kashmir”. So easy to do, the effect here, or anywhere, would be unthinkable.

Ah well, back to the weather, over here in the east all is calm but the forecast for tomorrow is wet & very windy....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Rain's pouring here at the moment, no wind as yet, but I am awaiting the effects of sucralose in a personal experiment to see if I'm having problems with digestive reactions it... Crazy

@Anonymous wrote:

Fart.jpg

No, not that kind of Wind !!

That's just being facetious !

Oh, right, never mind............. Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Blowing a gale here is the far west of Wales and although my tomatoes are suffering outside, thankfully my baby sized chillies are out of the worst of it keeping smug (sorry, snug) and relatively warm in the greenhouse. 

Chin up though guys, the sun is on it's way... apparently. Roll eyes

Capture.PNG