Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well worn excuses

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well worn excuses

On top of the usual by BT of "your line seems to be OK, must be something back at the exchange and/or we need to organise some traffic lights" ad nauseam one, what ones have you most often used or heard?

The old "who sold you this then" one of course along with the sharp intake of breath, and "blimey, are they still making these". "Have to order a part for this" is a good one as is "I'm going to need to take this back to the workshop" - that was a favourite by certain engineers back in my old TV repairman days.

"Ah, I just need to nip back to the workshop for a part, see you in a couple of hours" is another good one made better and certainly more annoying by going away and not coming back.... and if anybody does, it's somebody else who 'knows nothing about the job' so you have to explain what's wrong with your boiler, washing machine, fridge or whatever all over again! 

Just imagine a submarine turning up in a war zone and the captain saying "Y'know what guys, we've only forgotten to load those torpedoes again. Guess we'll just have to return to back home to port".

Better than running out of tea bags I suppose. 

Seems to me that each trade has it's own well worn stock of excuses. Roll eyes

http://www.videoarts.com/vintage-video-arts/who-sold-you-this-then/  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
7 REPLIES
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Re: Well worn excuses

"Computer say`s no"

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Sorry it's the last one in stock, if I give it to you there won't be any left.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Two years on, I'm still waiting for the roofer to return with a new tile to replace the one that blew off and lifted the lead flashing under the chimney...

Minivanman
Hero

You could always shimmy up a roof ladder knees shaking and replace it yourself. Better that than a leaky loft.Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Thankfully it's not leaked to date, as underneath the missing tile is an oddly long and wide one, it's just the idea of someone claiming to be a roofer coming out to repair it and not actually having tiles in his van to fit one, and besides, I've been on one roof in my lifetime doing a Rod Hull (except I survived), don't plan on doing it again unless there's someone dropping nukes on us... Smiley

Fixes: 125

I remember having a school carry case for books (bit like a doctor's case) in the 70's where the bottom fell out within two months. 

Took it back to the shop to be told "what do you expect, you've been putting books in it?"Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

@twocvbloke

Yes, I've seen that done before, putting a tile up and across from the inside. Still better to have that one outside replaced though. Thumbs Up

When I bought my small terraced cottage ten years ago I had the roof completely stripped, new battens fitted and the inside lined with that thermal foil stuff. It was a Welsh slate roof (well this is Wales) so replacing those cracked tiles came in expensive at around a £1 each at the time - but well worth it as it now has a mixture of mid and west Wales slates which are a slightly different colour of course.