cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that was close!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well that was close!

I was in the bath yesterday and as i often do, i had the mobile on the end of it tucked safely out of the way of the water but within reach so i could check the time etc.
Now I must say here that i have an excellent record of not breaking mobile phones or dropping them in water etc.. i still have a very old basic samsung that i've done everything to - thrown across the residential car park, down a railway track, had a neighbour run it over, thrown it against the wall etc.. and it still lives on!
Now i'm clearly loosing it because yesterday while in the bath i picked it up to check the time, put it back and somehow the damn thing slipped and the next thing i knew it was meeting the plug at the bottom of the bath  Shocked My missus who was there at the time started panicking frantically (technically it's her spare and she's lent it to me while i'm in a pickle).
Anyhow i eventually managed to get it out after 4-5 seconds of being submerged and it was still lit up but clearly getting a bit confused. Anyhow i pulled the rear cover off and pulled the battery hoping that water wouldn't get to anything critical and short it out causing permanent damage etc.
My missus has dropped two phones in the bath and neither survived. They were both simple old fashioned things (this is like 10 years back) and this is a modern smart phone which you'd clearly expect to fry and be completely shot. Well.. me being me i left it on the radiator for most of the day. Six or so hours later i've put the battery back in, turned it on (yes it managed that) and despite a bit of moisture being visible behind the screen, it worked as normal - bluetooth, wifi, 3G, normal phone and texting, apps.. nothing seems to have been affected. Left it by the side of the bed overnight and now the moisture behind the screen is gone too!
The make? Samsung.
I am now completely convinced that they make the most robust mobiles on the market. The phone had more than enough time to get water logged and killed and despite having very sensitive eletronics and many components (camera, speakers etc) it has all survived incredibly well.
So.. if you get something electrical dunked, get its power source disconnected ASAP and you might just save it!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Well that was close!

When we lived on our narrowboat, we purchased... at great expense, a Motorola BRICK... missus was very proud of it,...
One day, we were moored up, alongside the towpath, and just about to go ashore, shopping, when..... as she stepped from the boat to the canal bank, she dropped the phone ....
it went in the gap ( 9 inches at most ) between the boat and the canal bank wall...
"quick, I`ve dropped the phone in the water..... get it out.... before it gets wet"........  she screamed !...
Erm..... too late missus.. already wet...
as luck would have it... there is a small ledge on the canal wall, about 18" below the surface... and that is where it came to rest... but that was the only luck... even after getting it out, and emptying it of water,... leaving it in the sun for a whole day to dry out.. it never came back to life...
Shame really, we only had it a week !...
Fixes: 125

Like the OP I take my mobile to the bathroom when I bath. We have a laundry basked parked by the side of the bath so it sits on that quite safely Smiley
Sod's law dictates that the only time someone has rang was when I forgot to take it with me Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Modern mobiles are indeed being built to survive getting a dunking, the best way to revive them if they fall into contaminated water is, oddly enough, to rinse them in more water, clean water preferably and if you have it, distilled water, then allow it to dry and it'll live to fight another day, though the more recent ones are being built to be water resistant, so a quick dunking down the toilet and a quick run under the tap won't harm them... Smiley
Have to say I've not managed to break a mobile phone to date, worn them out yes, but never broken one (either through impact, dropping, soaking or anything else), even my present Galaxy S3 has been thrown about onto concrete and not even cracked the screen, probably just sheer luck though, it'll run out one day!!! Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dropping my mobile in water (as long as it wasn't too deep) would worry me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2710-Solid-Immerse-Mobile-black/dp/B0042ORU08
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
Modern mobiles are indeed being built to survive getting a dunking

I wouldn't have said that yesterday, the screen went completely white lol (though that was when i accidentally hit the power button to turn the screen off). Anyhow thankfully its battery being pulled before the water had chance to seep into something critical appears to have done the job.
Just to be sure i've really put it through its paces including playing tons of videos and it seems to be ok..
Must be said years ago i had very little respect for samsung as they (IMO) didn't really make anything exciting but they've really got their act together over the last decade.
steveuk
Grafter

Haha my cheapo Samsung phone went through the washing machine and lucky for me the back fell off and the battery fell out.
I took my sim card out and let the phone dry out for a good few days then took it apart to make sure it was fully dry and the damn thing still works Cheesy
Community Veteran

One of the ways to help speed up the drying process of wet electronics is to throw them into dry rice (preferably something cheap that you don't mind binning, or just stick it in the oven at a low temperature to dry it out again for re-use later), not sure of the how or why, but it seems to work well according to post-dunkers... Grin
Community Veteran

Oven? - I've heard people suggesting the microwave for a prank but i'd definitely not like the smell of melting plastic from the oven lol.
No sir, the radiator does the job perfectly.
Community Veteran

Er, no, you stick the rice in the oven to dry it out again after using it to dry the phone... Grin
You could stick a phone in a very low oven though, but, I wouldn't recommend it, it's not like you're trying to do a redneck solder-reflow job on it... Grin
Community Veteran

My bad, misunderstood what you wrote lol
Community Veteran

No worries, but you could make some interesting Dali-esque melting phone art... Grin
Community Veteran

OR we could send one to that "Will it blend" bloke on youtube to see if he can blend one  Cheesy
Community Veteran

He's done that before, I remember his Galaxy S3 versus some apple thing, the S3 lasted longer... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Er! taking phones in the bathroom!! you youngn's never heard of voicemail and the missed call listing?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.