cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that was a bit of a shock......FTTP coming soon!

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Well that was a bit of a shock......FTTP coming soon!

Recently I'd been on the BT website to see if we had any hope of getting an even faster connection i.e. FTTP. The answer was that we were not a high priority area. Had a quick look at how much to get it installed via the Fibre On Demand side and managed to have a laugh at the prices.

So I was rather taken aback with the card that popped through the letter box this afternoon. Seems a local ISP wants to connect the 7 villages round these parts with FTTP (edit: actually the cards says now installing) . 500Mbps unlimited comes in at £39, which isn't a Quantum leap from what I'm paying now. I did toy with the 1Gbps but £60? Not certain I could justify paying that. Their 120Mbps offering is actually £5 cheaper than what we pay now. And prices are fixed for 2 years.

I do wonder if they use the existing FTTC connection (just over the road) and just replace the phone cable with fibre to the house. Admittedly there is the £150 initial setup fee to consider but if you get in quick, you get that back. But even so. if it happens I will certainly be going for it. Registered already.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
7 REPLIES 7
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: Well that was a bit of a shock......FTTP coming soon!

You are lucky. My FTTC line is half a mile away and same price as those wih a cabinet across the road from their houses. Ultimately its speed v. value.  Seems very variable without FTTH.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

So I was rather taken aback with the card that popped through the letter box this afternoon. Seems a local ISP wants to connect the 7 villages round these parts with FTTP (edit: actually the cards says now installing) .

@idonno 

I'm no expert, but if the card says they are now installing and they're certain your address is covered, that suggests there must already be some FTTP infrastructure in place, but whether that belongs to OpenReach or another company is the $64,000 question.

If it's OR then you'll have the freedom to choose any ISP (admittedly not a huge number) which uses their cabling, but if it's another company then you would probably be limited to a smaller choice (maybe just of one!).

Dare I say it, but let's hope the card hasn't been delivered to you by mistake!

I do wonder if they use the existing FTTC connection (just over the road) and just replace the phone cable with fibre to the house. Admittedly there is the £150 initial setup fee to consider but if you get in quick, you get that back. But even so. if it happens I will certainly be going for it. Registered already.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that.  Whilst the FTTC cabinet will have fibre running to it, cabinets play no part in deploying FTTP so they can't just replace the copper with fibre.

AIUI, if it's OR, your FTTP will be connected via a splitter back to an aggregation node (where the fibre supplying the FTTC cabinet also connects to).  The aggregation node could be near the the VDSL cabinet, or quite possibly much further away.

If your local telephone lines are provided overhead via poles then it's most likely OR FTTP will be provided the same way, and therefore it will be easier to spot.

Things to look for are fibre cables which have thin yellow stripes along them, and CBTs (Connectorised Block Terminals) near the top of poles, which come in various sizes, e.g. 4, 8, 12 connections, e.g. below ...

722886-8941b42042a63b2e844ddf7cf815d067

Good luck!  Thumbs_Up

idonno
Aspiring Champion

That's interesting info @RobPN  I must admit I haven't really looked into how such stuff is delivered. Unlike the Talk Talk leaflets (which also get popped through the letterbox regularly - turns out they don't even serve our village), the card actually names the 7 villages that they intend to supply.

Yes, it will probably be only the one ISP but its the same with all ISP's, one signs up and hopes for the best! Maybe I've been lucky but over the years I haven't had a dreadful experience. Unless one counts the time I signed up with BT and ended up waiting 6 months just to get the existing telephone cable connected - they'd nicked my line (while the house was empty) to supply someone else as they'd run of of spare wires.😮

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

Yes, it will probably be only the one ISP but its the same with all ISP's, one signs up and hopes for the best! 

I'm not sure if we've got our wires crossed @idonno , but from what I've read, with some of these smaller companies who are building their own independent fibre networks you could just have Hobsons choice of ISP (or possibly a very small number), and that probably wouldn't be any of the mainstream ones.

At least with BTW/OR infrastructure if the mainstream ISP you sign up with disappoints, then you can choose another mainstream one (excluding PN of course ATM Wink ).  

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I know City Fibre are installing FTTP infrastructure in certain locations around the UK - its on behalf of Vodafone for there home broadband network.

There currently installing there cabling in my area.
idonno
Aspiring Champion

Seems its being carried out under the Gigabit Voucher scheme. It has one hell of a list of suppliers around the country. I never knew we had so many!

One other thing I have noticed is whatever package one goes for, you get the same speeds on both uploads and downloads.

idonno
Aspiring Champion

Only 3 weeks has gone by. Not only have I been accepted for a voucher, I won't have to pay the £150 setup fee either. And certainly a first (at least I've never seen one before e.g. by Openreach) we have a solar powered street sign trailer parked at the entrance to the estate informing us FTTP is being installed.

And I well believe it too. There were gangs of people lifting covers, putting rods through etc in the snow. They seem to be following the existing route taken by the FTTC cables. Seems its coming faster than I ever thought possible. I can still recall getting 1.2Mb/s only 6 years ago.