cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, it finally happened (wot still no fibre?)

moley
Grafter

Well, it finally happened (wot still no fibre?)

I've been waiting forever for our exchange to get fibred-up.  About a year ago, BT decided to work on the exchange and upgrade SOME of the cabinets in the town.  Despite living in the newest estate in the place, we continue to have no fibre capability on our side.  Also we are unlucky enough to be the only part of the town without any cable service - basically because BT continute to hold a monopoly on new build areas (then fail to invest).
The BT checker site actually showed our cab as Accepting Orders for a week, once, but then reverted to Under Investigation.....yawn.
Bottom line, my best speeds are 15 down/0.9 up.
Last week I swapped mobile provider for a new EE 4G contract.  I've run a 4G speed test and can get 80 down/25 up through tethering to my phone.
While a mobile/tether only contract is limited by data allowance, it isnt a substitute for an unlimited ADSL service (yet).
But - I'm seriously impressed with the EE service here, and pondering the fate of the BT Dinosaur...  Smiley
2 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Well, it finally happened (wot still no fibre?)

Quote from: moley
But - I'm seriously impressed with the EE service here, and pondering the fate of the BT Dinosaur...  Smiley

You are aware that BT has made an agreed bid for EE subject to satisfying the Competitions and Markets Authority?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Well, it finally happened (wot still no fibre?)

Our exchange was "Enabled" over two years ago. The cabinet between us and the exchange is 440 metres as per the Google crow, yet no sign of any activity. Openreach have announced a teflon RFS date of end of Sept (2013, 2014, 2015.... ).
There seems to be concept of accurate project management in OpenReach. This is why I've purchased a block of BT shares so I can turn up at their next AGM and ask a few embarrassing questions of the CEO.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.