cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, is THIS a scam?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, is THIS a scam?

My bowls club for fairly obvious reasons is called by the local "<town name> bowling club" of which I am the webmaster of its website.
I have received an email that is also c.c to a number of other organisations that share the town name in their websites, such as "<town name> orchestra", Travel agency and thirteen other diverse businesses, all of which are apparently genuine addresses, oddly mine is the only one sent directly to one of my email address rather than as the webmaster of the bowls club. This address does not appear anywhere in the website nor does it link to the website webmail.
The mail is offering for sale the web domain "townname".net
The mail includes a link to purchase the domain, which I have not touched.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Well, is THIS a scam?

No way of knowing if its a scam but if it is, it would be one that would take a lot of time and research to setup with the number of other organisations that you mention being listed.
Personally I'd just leave it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
The mail is offering for sale the web domain "townname".net
Yes, it's a scam.
There have been new domains available recently and certain registered "owners" have been contacted formally to advise them that they have a priority period to register them before they become available generally.
But categorically these would not be .NET domains.
Community Veteran

You've done the wise thing in ignoring it Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 7up
No way of knowing if its a scam but if it is, it would be one that would take a lot of time and research to setup with the number of other organisations that you mention being listed.
Personally I'd just leave it.

Actually I don't think it would take a lot of research. Google a town name and you will almost certainly be inundated with web addresses of local organisations. or links to sites like YELL. that will give you plenty of addresses at the click of a button. Copy/Paste is a wonderful thing.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.