Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well I never knew that.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well I never knew that.

After all these years I never knew you could unsend an email.

Watching ''Pointless' earlier and Richard Osman mentioned it.... and he never knew either so I'm in good company.

Here's a link I found anyway. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
16 REPLIES 16
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Well I never knew that.

Unfortunately, it didn't work when I was discussing a colleague's performance with my boss and he "accidentally" forwarded it to 20 other employees. Only 5 were recalled, the rest had external accounts that were used as default, instead of the company ones 🙄

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Been lucky never to have sent (as far as I know anyway) the wrong email to somebody - which is why I suppose I never knew about it and never will I guess if as you say 'unsend' does not work.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

It doesn't always work. With some organisations you can do it but private emails you'd be lucky. After all, I'd want to know why you wanted it back!!!! And to send it back the receiver gets asked whether they want to send it back. I've only had the request once - many moons ago.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

And there's the rub.

Ask somebody not to open it and send it back? I'd want to know why as well!

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

I'm a bit confused here. The email header says what is, but to get to the bit that says 'if you are not the intended recipient', you have to open the full message - I know, because that is on all my bank mail, and a number of other semi-official messages

So, if it isn't for you what do you usually do - I just bin it.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Same here, usually bin that sort of stuff as well.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 wrote:

I'm a bit confused here. The email header says what is, but to get to the bit that says 'if you are not the intended recipient', you have to open the full message

It's not the same as 'if you are not the intended recipient'. You don't even have to open the email either. What usually happens is that a pop up appear saying that sender X would like to recall email blah blah. Click here to return. If you click it, back it goes. But as far as I'm aware it really only applies to corporate emails systems with their own setup.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Get you, @idonno . That 'corporate email system'  comment explains it.

John
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Working with corporate email systems I tended to suggest to the end users this option was just a myth, it was in their best interests not to rely on this feature. Pointless will probably cause big problems for I.T depts....

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

On about three occasions in the last few years I (and a lot of colleagues) have received emails containing personal information intended for one person, not everyone in our department.  On one occasion I saw a message saying the sender had tried to unsend the email, on one of the other occasions the sender sent another message saying he was sure those of us who were not the intended recipient, had deleted it unread.  Naive or what?

We used Outlook at work and I didn't know it was possible to unsend emails in gmail so I've learnt something new.  Using a laptop with a touchpad it's all too easy to click send by mistake so I usually enter the addressee's details last, or if I'm replying to someone, I might add or delete a letter in their address so that if I click 'Send' by mistake, it either can't be sent or it'll come back as undeliverable.  This has worked for me so far.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Recalling mail is a limited gimmick. On Outlook / exchange it's the recipients server that is the problem - if it's exchange then it should have the feature and will delete / recall the unread message. Others simply don't.

Gmails recall is simply a delayed send - click recall within 30 seconds and it cancels sending (but it was never actually sent in the first place -or recalled).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

We use Outlook at work, rarely we get an Email recalled.

The thing that is annoying is when there's a general annoucement email with a link to a department email if any questions on the annoucement & then someone clicks reply to all on the original email instead.

There usually follows another general email reminding people not to reply to all & check where your sending your email.

The other classic is the email sent out to tell you the email system is running slow or not working.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It's those auto response emails that you cannot reply to that really irritate, like those we often get from plusnet. They remind me of those contentious articles you see in some online papers such as the Guardian that get closed for comments almost immediately. 

"We value your opinion... sorry, you were not quick enough"

Arghhh. 😦

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Amazing some of these scammers have not caught on to that.....

Send you a email which is clearly not for you with that message at the bottom.......

clearly knowing that some nosy people will open the attachment marked private and confidential...

We are born into history and history is born into us.