Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well I never knew that.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well I never knew that.

Well I never knew that - "The UK is one of the least forested countries in Europe, with just 10% of England covered by woodland, compared with 31% of France and 37% of Spain".

But not to worry because Jo has it in hand, and plans to cover the country with trees  with trees by the year 2045.

Great idea, but then ain't they all. 🙄 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
10 REPLIES 10
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Well I never knew that.

If you can find a graph showing comparative population per square mile then you maybe nearer to understanding the problem. No further comment as it may lead to a contentious discussion....

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Near where I live (and by the contentious open-cast coal mine outside Dipton) there was a thick Pine-filled wood which was recently clear-cut, looks an absolute eyesore now with all the stumps left in the open...

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman wrote:

Well I never knew that - "The UK is one of the least forested countries in Europe, with just 10% of England covered by woodland, compared with 31% of France and 37% of Spain".

But not to worry because Jo has it in hand, and plans to cover the country with trees  with trees by the year 2045.

Great idea, but then ain't they all. 🙄 

Not sure how they will manage to do that, with all the new house builds there will be no room for trees ,

😉

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Maybe not a map @Champnet  - just take a look at those global views we get of countries and see where all the bright lights are. 

The UK especially England is lit up like a Christmas tree whereas France looks to have three main blobs consisting of Paris, Lyon and Toulouse, and Germany seems to be lit up mainly in the north west?

download.jpg

"Put that Light Out!"  😀

And now we have a tree planting war on our hands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50440867

Anything you can do I can do better.... 

It's turning into something like that now famous Four Yorshireman sketch from Monty Python.

"Shorter hospital waiting times? That's nothing, we are going to put heart monitors, nebulisers and a defibrillator in every single house by the year 2020."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

we are going to put heart monitors, nebulisers and a defibrillator in every single house by the year 2020."

Or maybe on every tree they plant.....   (dumb looking chinaman emoticon )

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 187

So having planted all these trees I suppose that the next step is to chop down all the mature ones to burn because that's 'sustainable energy'!

It's funny how overpopulation never gets mentioned in the context of climate change.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

To paraphrase Marx, the more we populate the planet, the more we sow the seeds of our own destruction.

The bottom line is it cannot sustain growth at the present rate and whilst Marx might have got it wrong about capitalism, we have not got it wrong about are own demise if matters contine as they are.

Maybe it's the destiny of all forms of superior biological life. It eventually destroys itself, which is why we have not found it on others planets and if we do, it'll have been long gone and for the same reasons we now face and all we'll ever find is evidence of long lost civilisations from millions if not billions of years back.

But hey, we'll be just fine with a few more trees. 

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 187

@Minivanman wrote:

@Baldrick1 

To paraphrase Marx, the more we populate the planet, the more we sow the seeds of our own destruction.

The bottom line is it cannot sustain growth at the present rate and whilst Marx might have got it wrong about capitalism, we have not got it wrong about are own demise if matters contine as they are.

I totally agree. However, neither society nor religious leaders will accept the need to reduce the population so we might as well accept that the climate will change and that the human race will become extinct in the same way as most dinosaurs. It's not if, but when.

Now if all these kids instead of going off to demos in their mother's 4x4 to demonstrate about climate change and wanting to solve it with windmills were to start a movement declaring that they will only sire or have children under controlled conditions and get this rolled out throughout the world, then future generations might be in with a chance. But let's accept it, that won't happen, except in fiction.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@twocvbloke wrote:

Near where I live (and by the contentious open-cast coal mine outside Dipton) there was a thick Pine-filled wood which was recently clear-cut, looks an absolute eyesore now with all the stumps left in the open...

They probably plan to grow native trees instead of foreign conifers, which has been happening in Wales for a while now,  trouble with hardwood trees is the people who plant them probably won't see them in all their glory, you have to plant them hundreds of years before you need them.  Felling oaks for ships decimated our best trees and they never recovered, a single oak supports more wildlife than acres of pine forest.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote: The UK is one of the least forested countries in Europe, with just 10% of England covered by woodland, compared with 31% of France and 37% of Spain".

I wonder if they are taking in to account the relative size of the country. After all, from memory, France is twice the size of the UK so should have more anyway. Mind you they do have some wonderful forests over there.

As for tree stumps, its forest management. They grow, get chopped down for whatever and are then replanted again. Of course if they decide to build houses instead, even trees have a hard time breaking through concrete and tarmac. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?