Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, Blow me Down !

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, Blow me Down !

We are fortunate back home in Derbyshire to have wonderful views across the open Countryside and rolling hills.
If you have been watching The Village on BBC1, which has just finished transmission, you will get a feeling for where we live.
Involved, just a little bit, in the nearby Locations and prep work.

We have not been blighted by Wind Turbines.
Thankfully...

The scandal of UK's death-trap wind turbines
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2754679/The-scandal-UKs-death-trap-wind-turbines-A-turbine-b...
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Well, Blow me Down !

Thing is they're huge those turbines. We saw some being put up once and got a tour by the security guard on the sunday when the site was taking a day off. I stood at the bottom of one and felt like a microbe it was so tall.
There were several generator housings on the ground too and those things are massive in their own right too. The turbine blades are also an incredible length.
The very thought of one of those coming down next to me would scare the living daylights out of me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Instead of wind power surely it would have been better going for tidal power, at least we know when the tides come in and out but no such prediction can be made for the wind.
Plans have been on the cards for years regarding a barrier from St Annes to Southport in Lancashire along with other similar barriers in parts of the Northwest but such plans have never been acted on due to cost. Those in favour of such a scheme claim the power generated would be enough to power 9 million homes.
Personally I think this will get of the ground one day but not in my lifetime.
Infinity
Pro

I seem to remember the area around the base of the turbines can be covered with dead birds in some locations.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Instead of wind power surely it would have been better going for tidal power, at least we know when the tides come in and out but no such prediction can be made for the wind.
Plans have been on the cards for years regarding a barrier from St Annes to Southport in Lancashire along with other similar barriers in parts of the Northwest but such plans have never been acted on due to cost. Those in favour of such a scheme claim the power generated would be enough to power 9 million homes.
Personally I think this will get of the ground one day but not in my lifetime.

Tidal power is not constant so building on or two barriers will be a waste of money as conventional power stations still need to be built.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Doesn't tidal power slow the earth's rotation? Whereas wind power comes from solar energy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@itsme,
Surely it's a matter of research and mathematics to find out what is the best option for producing energy long term ?
Short term our answer is likely to be fracking but that will run out at some stage, convential options come in for a lot of criticism and due to agreement with some other countries on the need to reduce pollution coal fired stations are being closed just the opposite to some other countries which are building even more. I.e. China.
Nuclear power may appear to be the best option but after the problems in Japan along with problems in other countries such as Russia there is little support for nuclear power.
We have seen some of the problems caused by wind turbines and the jury is out on solar panels which in theory sound like an excellent idea but claimed savings appear to differ considerably against actual savings.
To my knowledge tidal power has never been tried large scale in this country but one day I think it will be.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Wave power and current flows are what some of the big energy companies have been looking into with several billion tied up in the research projects so far, but opposition from green group's has had them back at the drawing board far too many times, a simple solution of errecting metal fencing around a proposed site was put forward but ultimately ruled against as it would deprive the wildlife of too large an area......
Germany has also invested in new coal plants
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
sjptd
Grafter

Tidal power is not constant   It is fairly constant averaged out over the coastline; slight variation with spring/neap tides; so a few stations strategically spread could generate a lot.
BUT tidal power is not good for seals and other marine wildlife.
Community Veteran

Whilst tidal power might not be good for marine life the same could be said about wind turbines, and some have questioned the effects of radiation on living things due to accidents.
There will always be a negative side no matter what you do.
Marine life is already under threat due to over fishing and rubbish dumped into the sea and these things are a greater threat than tidal energy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Simple answer to turbines being blow over.. use support / anchor cables like they do on tall communications masts.
Cheap bodge that will become a good reliable fix instead of taking them down to rebuild etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

How will they do that?
Infinity
Pro

BBC News:
Pentland Firth turbine firm MeyGen signs 10-year power deal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-29230800#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=Public...
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
I seem to remember the area around the base of the turbines can be covered with dead birds in some locations.

Wind farms 'kill confused bats':
Turbines are deadly to the animals as they create same air currents as trees, so they fly too close
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2775730/Wind-farms-kill-confused-bats-Turbines-deadly-animal...