cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird behaviour from Amazon

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Weird behaviour from Amazon

Got to my desk this morning and there was an email from Amazon, sent last night :
Hello,
This is an important message from Amazon.co.uk.
At Amazon, we take your security and privacy very seriously. We recently discovered that your Amazon.co.uk password may have been improperly stored on your device or transmitted to Amazon in a way that could potentially expose it to a third party. We have corrected the issue to prevent this exposure. While we have no reason to believe your password was improperly disclosed to a third party, out of an abundance of caution, we have assigned a temporary password to your account. To regain access to your Amazon customer account please follow the below steps. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
To regain access to your Amazon customer account:
1.  Go to Amazon.co.uk and click the "Your Account" link at the top of our website.
2.  Click the link that says "Forgot your password?"
3.  Follow the instructions to set a new password for your account.
Please choose a new password and do not use the same password you used with us previously. We also highly recommend that you choose a password that you are not using on any other site. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sincerely,
Amazon.co.uk
Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. To contact us, please visit the Help section of our website.

Needless to say I sent it to the bit bucket as I thought it was a hoax and the hoaxer had forgotten to put the dodgy links in the email. Later I went to the site to see what was on offer and I noticed my recommendations was producing stuff that I wasn’t interested in so I thought I’d adjust them via the ‘Improve your recommendations’ link. On clicking this I was prompted to ‘sign in’ and as my U/P is stored by the browser I simply clicked the button only to be told that my password wasn’t recognised!
I retried, same again so I went to the help and got them to phone me. During the call it was established that the email had been sent by Amazon, but neither the first person or their line manager could tell me why?
I do have my suspicions as to what ‘they discovered’, i.e. the fact that I don’t physically type my U/P when I log in, but I may be wrong.
Has anyone else had this?
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Weird behaviour from Amazon

Not so far.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

OK here too!
Just signed in OK.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

as the Amazon login is https I wonder if you have used a device or service which doesn't support it
Community Veteran

Seems very odd. I would have taken the email to be a hoax as well.
Community Veteran

Well with no name in the email it instantly raised my suspicion, you would have thought with such an issue as security it would have been sensible to address the recipient by their registered name.
@oldjim, You got me thinking there and I did login to amazon using my iPad, but that was using https, and a few nights ago. Still very, very odd.
I did ask for an explanation as to why this email was sent, and I was informed that I'd get an email so I'll update this post when I get one.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think its down to the amazon app since it was updated recently and I had one of those emails,
if it was down to using a login auto fill manger then I would expect a lot more people to get the same message/
by comparison my wife triggers that problem for me all the time with another website when she uses a public wifi hotspot to connect to the the account to check on something with one of the phone apps ....no matter how often it happens she still forgets and does it again at some point .... perhaps that's the problem used a public wifi connection rather than your home one /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

This seems the likely reason for the email:

http://bgr.com/2015/11/24/amazon-password-leak-change-your-password/
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Ah, well there's the rub (nothing to do with Wishbone Ash), I used the browser and not the app on the iPad but I can see your point regarding a different WiFi connection but it's too late now to check that.
Yes, if it were the auto fill you're right, I'd not be the only one getting an email.
It will be interesting to see how this one pans out, but I have a sneaking feeling that I'll not hear back from Amazon as stated, so I'm not holding my breath, besides I don't look good in purple.
@I.T.Works - Looks like a perfect match to me thanks.  Smiley