Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird SPAM's to my email addresses

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Weird SPAM's to my email addresses

I've just started getting a whole load of weird spam emails, to several of my email addresses, just the last few days.
Good day  xxxx
To: xxxx
Nondescript messages, no clicky links
Sample messages
"Three bank robbers find a newborn baby and his dying mother in the desert. Protective effect of fruits, vegetables and the Mediterranean diet on asthma and allergies among children in Crete. Heenvliet was a separate municipality until 1980, when it became part of Bernisse."
"Fearing the worst, Dunn rushes in and finds that social workers are getting ready to take Danni away. In addition to continued mining of precious metals, industrial minerals form the basis of today's local mining industry. Chinese units wore a salacco headdress and blue, white or khaki drill clothing based on local patterns."

The only place where all of my email addresses so affected are aggregated via POP, is onto Plusnet Webmail, as backup.
Is this a recurrence of an alleged harvesting a while back, despite PN denials, but mentioned on the Forums. ?
email addresses of mine not going to PN webmail, no such spam, same ISP for myself, so I don't think it's my ISP being harvested.
Nor the iMac, as most of my email addresses are available via Apple Mail. Most unaffected by spam of any kind.
Of course, none replied to, all bounced back, no returns to myself.
(I've been abroad for a week or so now, not used any of these email addresses since abroad)

Anyone else getting similar spam ?

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Wierd SPAM's to my email addresses

If your email provider / client hasn't blocked any images you may find that you have an invisible / clear give that is included in the html mail which is called from a remote server which then registers your email address as valid.
As for the random text, the longer it is with fewer links the more legitimate it looks to spam filters.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Re: Wierd SPAM's to my email addresses

Apple Mail correctly identifies all of these as spam / junk
I am also Virus protected to the hilt on all my computers, all Apple.
Thanks for your insight 7up
As mentioned above, not sent any emails from these addresses, but of course received many.

I googled prompted by your reply, and found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_bug
Thanks 7up once again.

Apple Mail correctly identifies all of these as spam / junk
Found this safety feature in Apple Mail...
If you automatically render all HTML received, when a message is automatically marked as Junk, any HTML that includes embedded images or objects that must be rendered from a remote server (which is what can reveal that your email address is valid to the spammer) will or should not be rendered.
As far as I know, if any embedded images or objects that must be rendered from a remote server are not rendered, you are protected.

toolateforaname
Grafter

Re: Weird SPAM's to my email addresses

Thats interesting - I had exactly the same last week.  all from diferent ip sources though
I have my own domain and give companies specific email addresses to contact me on eg argos@...., tesco@....
The fact that all the emails like this that I received were to addresses that had been used did make me wonder if there had been an exploit somewhere.
Interestingly this week I've started to get emails to the same addresses with dodgy attachments.  (again - I'm all anti/virused up and they were all detected as spam)
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: toolateforaname
Thats interesting - I had exactly the same last week.  all from different ip sources though
Interestingly this week I've started to get emails to the same addresses with dodgy attachments.  (again - I'm all anti/virused up and they were all detected as spam)

The fact that Apple Mail correctly identified the Spam emails as Junk, meant that even the invisible parts were not downloaded, ( as 7up mentioned ) and that, coupled with Apple Mail Bounce (OSX 10.6.8 on my email computers) seems to have done the trick, as I haven't  received any follow up emails from them with attachments of any type.
Fingers crossed.
I am normally relatively Spam free, perhaps one a week, and Bounced emails don't come back.
(Yes I know the pro's and con's of Bouncing emails, but it works for me extremely well)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: PlusComUK
Quote from: toolateforaname
Thats interesting - I had exactly the same last week.  all from different ip sources though

The fact that Apple Mail correctly identified the Spam emails as Junk, meant that even the invisible parts were not downloaded, ( as 7up mentioned ) and that, coupled with Apple Mail Bounce (OSX 10.6.8 on my email computers) seems to have done the trick, as I haven't  received any follow up emails

So in other words they were testing to see if your address was live as i suspected. I wouldn't worry too much about them now Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!