cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding pay!

Fixes: 124

Wedding pay!

A couple are charging their guests £150 to attend their 3-day-event wedding citing it as a business model. Apparently it includes all food and drink (except you need to bring your own drink for the other two days).

I have been to some weddings where it's been a long journey and with hotel and food costs could rise to more than £150 especially for more than the one night. But still not sure I would want to be 'charged' for attending, though. Do they still expect a gift?

What do others think?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

19 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Wedding pay!

I simply wouldn't attend.

I try to avoid weddings at all costs, as the outmoded and pointless concept they are, and any religious nonsense guarantees my non attendance...

Champnet
Rising Star

That's the touch paper lit........

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

If someone wants to have a lavish do - fine - but don't expect me to help pay for it.  Shocked

Not young enough to know everything
Steve
Pro

I quite liked this comment 

Screenshot at 2017-09-20 22-16-55.png

Fixes: 47

My daughter and fiancé are currently in the early stages of planning their wedding.

I'm guessing it's going to cost me a little more than £150 along with compulsory attendance.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 124

Congrats to them both.

I assume mine and @dvorak's invites are in the postCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One thing comes to mind...

Steve
Pro

Strat wrote:

My daughter and fiancé are currently in the early stages of planning their wedding.

I'm guessing it's going to cost me a little more than £150 along with compulsory attendance.

If we are going with tradition then you should be planning their big day not them lol. Like Mav though congrats to them both. Hope they have a great day and a happy marriage.

Community Veteran

Mixed views on this one to be honest.

No I don't agree that guests should have to stump up £150 to attend their friend / families wedding. It's taking the P isn't it.

With that said, the last wedding I went to was in 2010 and was that of a mate. As a wedding gift to him and his wife I stuffed their card with £150 cash so is it fair of me to say its wrong?

Thing is there will be guests that would have trouble finding the money. Back then I had it, now I couldn't. I guess if everyone you plan on inviting agrees to it then its not a problem but I couldn't personally even think of trying it on like that.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Strat I can confirm thatGrin My eldest daughter got married 3 years ago and the other one is planning to marry next May!  Seeing as they are both into their 30s I agreed with them that I would give them a lump sum to do with as they wish.

At least that means I know what this next wedding is going to costSmiley

...and you're right, attendance is compulsoryGrin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No I would not go, personally it's a cheek to specify a sum of money.

It is acceptable to ask guests for a present or money but not specify a figure.

Some guests are in a better financial position than others would you want to exclude a good friend from your wedding because they could not afford to give you an expensive gift ?

Fixes: 104

@MisterW - hope you're adjusting for inflation Wink

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes @7up, you spent the same amount of money. For me, the big moral difference is it was your choice to do so and it wasn't compulsory. Good on you, you did. I asked a friend how much his wedding cost and was a bit shocked and surprised at the cost.

Like all things in life, you have to play fair and expect to spend money buying a gift. I am sure there are people who expect everything for free.

The last wedding I went to, they created a shopping list and sent a URL of what they wanted of a major department store (I'd better say that otherwise I'm advertising Tongue). Click on URL, select what you want to get them, put your payment details in. Charges you, it gets delivered to their house and the items people get are knocked off the list so they don't get duplicate items.

I think that is a pretty good system Cool

EDIT: Congrats @Strat.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Strat if you've not already discovered it "Weddings add a zero to the price."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.