Did you mean: 

Web users 'getting more selfish'

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Web users 'getting more selfish'

Read this and see what you think,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7417496.stm
Here are some extracts,
This makes them very resistant to highlighted promotions or other editorial choices that try to distract them

In 2004, about 40% of people visited a homepage and then drilled down to where they wanted to go and 60% use a deep link that took them directly to a page or destination inside a site. In 2008, said Dr Nielsen, only 25% of people travel via a homepage. The rest search and get straight there.

"People want sites to get to the point, they have very little patience,"

Do you visit the homepage on the PlusNet website, or do you use bookmarks?
I have some pages set as 'quick launch' items.
So I seldom see some of the 'attractions' offered.
Maybe some of the 'distractions' offered on websites make it more difficult for dyslexics.
I am not dyslexic but get very frustrated with navigation problems. Some websites are better than others.
Perhaps KellyD (Head of website development) has some ideas/thoughts on this subject?
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Web users 'getting more selfish'

and how many go to the Community Home page or just straight to Forums?
Do they look at the polls page or the Blogs page?
I use the RSS feeds that also dont take you to the home page.
lingbob
Grafter

I start off at the home page of the Community site and also the Portal, as I find PlusNet's sites very easy and quick to navigate.
Regards .....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My web browser opens with PlusNet home page, but I go straight to community, never quite got around to setting community as "home" Only login at home to deal with webmail spam etc. and occasional speed test. I like to think PlusNet deals with everything else with their usual competence.
I very rarely "just" browse the web, and usually know within a little what I'm looking for, so just google a general heading (if that counts under the definition of "browsing") use bookmarks quite a lot.
Found a few years ago that, that after the novelty wore off, just idly browsing was/is (not only expensive then, and very slow) also rather tedious. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I have a shortcut in the Links toolbar that takes me straight to new posts:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=unread
One click - see the list
  Second click - Mark as read if all uninteresting OR
  Second click - read interesting post
jmd
Grafter

I use PlusNet Home page as my hompage and then go to Community site.  Most of the websites I like to re-visit are in my "favourites" and I edit these every so often otherwise the list gets tooo long! Smiley
I only search for things when I need information............
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

My homepage is Google. I think you can probably imagine why Wink
Not so sure that means I'm selfish though. I'd call that shifting the blame for the pressure society puts on people to economise their time these days. We're all under so much pressure to make the most of our time due to working every hour god sends that we don't get a lot of time for ourselves anymore.
I'd say telling the world we're selfish is a kick in the teeth!
Of course we're going to start taking short cuts - we want some 'me' time. When we've donated so much of our day to working our back sides off to pay the tax man who the hell can honestly call us selfish?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Changed home page to community, which is still working whilst the portal is down for maintenance. Think I'll leave it like that.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Loombucket
Grafter

My homepage is Google on most machines - it's uncluttered, quick to load and still the best search engine.
I have no patience whatever with over-fancy websites that incorporate Flash and similar gimmickry.  It just shows that the Marketing dept. has had too much say in the web content.  If you try any car manufacturer's website you'll see some appalling examples of this.  It just gets in the way and prevents browsers (who are potential customers) getting the information they've visited the site for.
Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

My homepage is blank or about:blank and has been ever since I was on dialup
Fixes: 47

I have a bookmark to the forums but often backtrack to the Community Home Page to read End of Day entries.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation