cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web sites Re-inventing the wheel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Web sites Re-inventing the wheel

What is with the mad push lately with a number if sites I use regularly changing there layouts completely  Angry  A fast site soon becomes a mess, so has there been an influx of web page coders released from a Uni drunken state and they are trying to reinvent the wheel in their first job?
So to any coders leave the wheel alone its worked for years, stop breaking it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Web sites Re-inventing the wheel

Couldn't agree more...........
I run half-a-dozen 'screen scrapers' that extract information from various websites direct into 'desk-top' applications by way of macros, the re-engineering of websites makes the macros useless.
Community Veteran

Ah! but it does keep web designers gainfully employed. So it does have a plus side I suppose. Otherwise I agree with the OP. (BT seems to be constantly altering their site)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

ebay is one of the worst culprits. Change just for changes sake with no real improvements.
Things go from bug to worse.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't mind the sites being reinvented to look different as it keeps them looking fresh but what does annoy me is the bloat code in the page that suddenly makes it display 3 times slower than previously. Things like excessive javascript, adverts made from flash that are CPU hogs and almost crash the browser, tons of different CSS sheets that it downloads from all over the place for different things.
Can't we just keep it simple?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I didn't realise we weren't talking about the Plusnet site  Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The BBC has made the local station web site comply with the mold, I know that BBC Essex has three webcams, Studio a, Studio b , and and external one of the road traffic outside the studeio.
The presenters often say "look at this on our web cam", OK but where is it?.  
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/essex/
Community Veteran

@Oldjim I'm not on about PNs site, its sites I use daily if not weekly:  Radio Times ; 4OD and recently Tescos Groceries are the main ones that trigger a "I don't believe it" moment
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The worst one is yahoo mail. They had a wonderful old interface for years on end and I had my browser tooled up with javascript buttons below the address bar that would perform all sorts of tasks for me (such as adding disposable addresses etc). Now they've introduced their new ajax based webmail and forced all of us to use it and my javascript buttons are useless.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!