cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Weather

We have often discussed the weather and global warming on the forum but the weather in this area,( Lancashire/Cumbria) has been unusual for this time of the year, not only have we had more sunny days but it's been warm with the wind coming from the South.

Perhaps it's my poor memory but I cannot recall having such good weather in the past at this time of year, perhaps we got the odd day but nothing to match what we are getting now.

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weather

Some will say it is down to Global Warming and we're all doomed.

The temperature has been rising since records began but that's only about 130 or so years and is infinitesimal with regard to the bigger picture. So is it down to man or a natural transition?

Community Veteran

This February is one of the warmest with some records being broken. What a change from last year when we had 'The beast from the east'.

This morning, however, we had a very heavy frost but it soon warmed up and we have a beautiful day now.

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

The last February I remember like this was in 2003 - walking on the beach at Cullen, NE Scotland. It was more like the middle of May.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Indications here in west Wales where lots of daffodils are on show just about everywhere bofore it's even spring shows that it really is much warmer and much earlier. Most years they seem to struggle to appear before St Davids day on March the first, but we've had them blooming here since mid February. 

Community Veteran

Daffodils out here in Essex too.

This afternoon I sat in the garden for an hour and it was lovely.

@Minivanman Met Office reporting a temperature of 20.3C (68.54F) at Trawsgoed, Ceredigion.

It is the first time a temperature of over 20C has been recorded in winter.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@artmo

I was in Lampeter this afternoon and to be honest it felt more like a summers day never mind spring, and it's still officially winter!

Wonderful or worrying, hard to make up my mind, but others seem to have.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/25/uk-experiences-winter-temperatures-of-more-than-20c-...

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

It is a nice sunny day here in Middlesbrough too!

17c

Community Veteran

Another record February day today with 21.2º in London:cool:

Not everyone is enjoying the weather. Caroline Lucas MP stated 'We shouldn't be enjoying a heatwave in February - this is what climate breakdown feels like'. She knows how to enjoy herself doesn't she!

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Will the Greens be issuing Enjoyment Licences if they ever come to power?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Back to normal here in the far west of Wales with drizzle, damp but... it still feels warm with no early morning frost.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get what I would describe as insidious headaches due to changes in the air pressure, in fact I have one now. I know this to be the case as the barometer proves it and it certainly doesn't appear to be coincidence.  

Community Veteran

Yes, we've lost the sunshine here in Essex as well but it's still mild.

Yesterday I heard that English grown strawberries were on sale in the shops. This normally doesn't happen until May so another indication of the unseasonal weather we are having.

Champnet
All Star
Fixes: 2

We could be covered in snow during April, not the first time....

Our weather is so unpredictable, the Summer could be as good as last year or a complete washout.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Trying to anticipate the sunlight or lack of it these days I now have one of those full spectrum lights just to help my chillies (carolina reaper) and tumbling toms along from sprouted seedlings. Just a single 'ebay for a fiver' bulb which is more than enough for what I need - but not enough for the neigbours to think I'm trying to suppliment my pension by growing something different. :wink:

Just another month should see the sun high and warm enough to be able to shift them from the kitchen windowsill to the greenhouse.

Capture.PNG