cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather related perhaps...whether three things are or not?

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Weather related perhaps...whether three things are or not?

!.  Opened front car windows from driver side today as car was hot. Now passenger side window won't close. Car is 53 Fabia.

2. For years front porch door has opened with no problem, but  now it's fouling ceiling light at ~50 mm up fitting. Door still closes but leaves a dirty black mark.

3. Case for smartphone no longer secures phone, as adhesive has given way.

Now, weather, bad luck, or Brexit? I need to know.Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
16 REPLIES
JayG
Pro

Re: Weather related perhaps...whether three things are or not?

If it's Brexit, you'll never know the answer, because nobody really understands anything about it! Cheesy

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

You mean it's not the same as those notices in seaside tat souvenir shops; if you brexit you pays for it? Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Luzern  ...... 53 Fabia...... ? ? ?    hope you don`t mean 1953 .... they were terrible cars...! ! !  Shocked.

If you are referring to the more recent model.... perhaps you may find the answer to your problem on this site, before going to the dealers ..

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/

you need to register to post on there, but you can "read up" on any forum without registering.

as for the other ... sorry don`t have a forum for that... ( Although I have heard that "General Chat" on here used to be pretty helpful for things ! ! ! !... )

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

2003-53

Community Veteran

@Luzern check out the forum... lots of useful information from other Fabia owners on there..  Well worth signing up for.

Certainly saved me a few quid over the years... !

Wink

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@shutter Am aware of forum. Smiley Son-i-l came round, and found all but one clip or something had come off. The window couldn't be raised manually, so took interior furniture off and pulled glass up to close. He and all his family live a hectic, so no time to go further, so given my lack of dexterity, off to garage tomorrow.

Community Veteran

@Luzern  OK... shame about the garage trip... however, some jobs are "just beyond" the diy stage, and "needs must".

I feel very fortunate, that I have a very good mobile mechanic, which means I am not without the car for days on end to fix "minor" problems...

Hope the fix is relatively quick for you.

Wink

Highlighted
Luzern
Seasoned Pro

The local garage have been helpful over the time since moving here, but now since change of bus services, it's not so easy getting home, if garage doesn't have spare man to courier me.

BTW Mobile mechs, how does on choose one, are they that cheaper?

Community Veteran

I was lucky!... had just moved back down here...but was in the motor trade here before, and new of one guy... so he was the first one I used... but he was "getting old".. ( same as me ! ! ).. and it seemed to take him a long time to do a brake shoe change... so I just kept my eyes open... and one day I spotted a small van, all nicely signwritten, and this guy had his name on it, with some B.A. Mech. after it.  So I gave him a call... and he has been very good to me, ever since.. been using him for over 12 years now, and always a pleasure to have him do the work, and I have total confidence in him...He is more like a family friend now, than just a mobile mechanic....

He keeps a "Kardex" type record book of all the work he has done, what parts, etc, and when the next "service" is due, in his vehicle, so he can always check if work is needed. He charges about £25 per hour, If he get any parts, he charges the "trade price" to me... Most times, like for general service items,  - oil, filters, brake shoes, pads, I will go to the Motor Factors, and get them prior to his visit... something I have always done, helps me to "spread the cost"... as I can predict when a job needs doing, and plan accordingly... so when the job comes up, all I have to do is pay for the labour..

How you choose yours?  well, maybe if you see one "at work" somewhere on your travels, you could stop and enquire about his services,  .. look on line... some have checkatrade reviews...  If you are on the "social media".. you could ask around your contacts on there, to see if they have anyone the recommend.

best thing is, if you don`t like the bloke,  or not happy with his work, you can get someone else next time, until you are happy.

Goog Luck.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Luzern

That's the problem these days with modern cars, everything controlled by electronics, great when they work but usually expensive to fix.

If you have a good garage ( based on past experience) stick with it.

Phone the garage ask of a ballpark estimate for fixing your car window then you can contact a mobile mechanic and get a estimate, clearly you are not going to pay him until you see the window working, I guess you could even watch him do the job so if it requires a new motor in the door you can actually see he fits one.

Are you in a rescue service ? They may take your car to a garage,

PS: Do you have a workshop manual for the car ? Could it be a fuse that has blown ? If you know where the fuse box is the back of the cover usually has a imprented list for what each fuse covers.

Be interested to know how you get on.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

Booked Thurs week, but I can do without car fortunately.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

Her majesty (my local one) has reminded me that today is Thursday, not Wednesday, as I actually dreamed.

car goes in next Thursday.

Champnet
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

2 years ago wife did same to our 56 Fabia, window went down but wouldn't return.

Managed to manually move it up. Have checked accounts, garage bill was £218........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I would have gone to a scrapyard and bought another door before I paid that sort of money.

Cheesy